New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 and Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience reloading Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets for the 6.5-284 Norma? Looking for recommendations for powder, amount, bullet clearance, resulting long range accuracy.

You'll notice this is an uncommon combination: many who reload for this caliber use a match target bullet. I want to use a top quality hunting bullet with this caliber. I have a lot of Barnes reloading experience in other calibers, but none for this combination. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Posts: 59 | Location: New England | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the 120 grain TSX loaded .047" off the lands with 49.3 grains H4350 powder. I worked up this load and it is safe in my gun, work up slowly to that in yours, if you want to try it.

It shoots little groups and coincidently .5" right at 100 yards of my match load using the 142 grain SMK.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jackal, if your new 6.5-284 is a top of the line customer build (as they often are), may I suggest the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. It's designed as a hunting bullet, but outshoots the target bullets in more then on of my custom rigs.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 120 TSX as well, and it flat shoots great. I am using VV powder, frankly don't recall which one off hand--but I can check for sure. I developed my load about 3 years ago, and have stuck with it. It has been a hammer on deer, antelope and various other critters. I am right at the Barnes recommended 50 thou off the lands. The barnes is a little long, so it can get into your powder space when seating it deep enough to get back off the lands properly, but I have achieved satisfactory velocity, and like this bulllet a lot.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. I have yet to shoot mine but am getting the pieces together. Wondering what rifles you have, anybody shoot the Savage model 111 long range hunter? Fjold: what accuracy do you get with the 120 gr TSX? Antelope Sniper: I bought a box of factory Nosler 120 gr BT's (not cheap but cheapest at Midway) so once I have a scope aboard will do a barrel break-in plus see accuracy. A shooting friend uses BT's almost exclusively. Me, I have had exceptional success last 3 years with Barnes TTSX including one shot kills both here and in Africa. Fish: am guessing you used VV 160 or 165 but would like your confirmation. Regards.

Posts: 59 | Location: New England | Registered: 02 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load the 130gr TSX flatbase to the base of the Norma case neck using a max charge of Reloader22 for my Blaser R93 with 25.6" barrel. CCI BR2 primer.

The R93 has a magazine that can take the 375 H&H and a long-throated chamber.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jackalhunter, I am loading V V N-560. Mid 50 grains zone. I bounce right around 3050 fps, 24" barrel. I am using Norma brass and Nosler brass, and it appears the Nosler is a bit heavier, I get a little more speed all else equal with the Noselr vs the Norma.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote