New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: H4198 vs. IMR4198
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At one time they were the same powder: Military surplus repackaged and sold to civilian reloaders. (for what its worth, I've bought what is now called AA2230 in a gallon milk carton with .223 written on the side with a magic marker from AA in Tenn way back when) Now there is supposed to be a slight difference but, like Saeed, a prudent reloader shouldn't have any problems. I have switched them out, weight for weight, "just to see" and couldn't tell any difference. But I wasn't red lining the cartridge I was shooting.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post

Lately been seeing the mini-packs of Hodgdon powder. Consists of four 4-oz bottles of various H powders for the price of a 1 pounder, makes 'sperimenting a little easier...

Hank

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to highjack this thread, but my question is related... I'm new to reloading but read a lot and have seen that the H4198 is less temperature sensative. Looking thru my .45-70 loadbook usa, load sources that show both indicate that loads for a given velocity show 2-5grns difference for the 2 different powders. Has anyone used the H4198 at temperature extremes to verify that the H4198 is indeed more reliable/consistent at low temps in particular? My sightin is usually done at 50-60 degrees, but hunting will be done at temps anywhere from 10 degrees to 70 degrees, would like to know the experiences you have had with H4198 and the .45-70 in particular. I have starting handload recommendations for both in my rifle, Thanks.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have seen burning rate tables where these two powders change places. Sometimes H4198 is shown as faster, and sometimes IMR4198 is shown as faster.

Personally, I would use them interchangeably without worrying about it.

Of course, one has to start below recommended loads and work up from there.

Posts: 68780 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory: I posted this same question back in August '03, because Speer's Reloading Manual #12 states that H4895 and IMR4895 are similar enough that, for any given load, one can be substituted for the other. The general response was that they are pretty close, but back off a little on the grainage and work up, a worthy notion when working up any new loads.

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory:

I have used both.

I think Hodgdon's is more user friendly on the reload bench for 22 caliber case necks.

For consistency at the chronograph I prefer to use the IMR version. I find it more consistently accurate than the Hodgdon version also. Both in 223 and 22/250.

I buy 8 pound kegs of the IMR version and keep a one pound cannister of the Hodgdon around.
Reflects my experience and preferences.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anybody know if H110 and WW296 are the same powder? They nearly always have the same exact loading data and velocities that are within a few fps of each other.

I know and they are the same but usually different lots.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Are the H4198 "sticks" any shorter than the IMR 4198? I'm loading 17 cal cartridges.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Anybody know if H110 and WW296 are the same powder? They nearly always have the same exact loading data and velocities that are within a few fps of each other.

I know and they are the same but usually different lots.

Canister powders are supposed to be blended to the same speed, regardless of lots. That is what we are paying extra for.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Faster
111 H-4198
112 IMR-4198
113 RL-7
114 AR-2207
115 N-125
116 S-321
117 TU-2000
Slower

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
They were owned by two different companies� that happened to use the same number. Now that they are owned by the same company one could only assume that they will rename/discontinue one. You could email them and ask?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4895 and IMR 4895 is the only two powders with the same designation that are interchangably as far as I know...

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote