New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEE CRIMP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting a 6.5x55 and have new components. The dies I have ( Lee neck size ), are designed not to perform a crimp. What is the thinking on the Lee factory crimp die as a follow up to seating? Thanks, Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them on all of the pistol calibers I load for as well as some of the rifles (levers in 22-20 and 357). Great product!
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do exactly what you proposed in your post.

I've crimped literally 1000's of '06 and 7.62 with my two trusty Lee factory Crimp dies.

What I like about the Lee Factory Crimp die is you can easily adjust crimp pressure, case length isn't a factor (but you should watch the length for other reasons) and non-cannelure bullets can be crimped as well.

Can't find a better system.

hth

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
smoker

Most everybody uses the Lee Factory Crimp

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2.../798100962#798100962

I started using them because I went to Lee Collet Neck Sizers and had heard that the grip on the bullet was not as solid as a regular die. Figured to put a light crimp on them as a finishing touch. Liked them so much that I have one in every caliber I reload for.

thumb

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your advice. It certainly looks as though there's a definate improvement in accuracy, and the way I shoot I can use all the help I can get. Thanks again, Smoker

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This question comes up over and over on this forum, but people aparently have not examined the results of Saeed's tests on this very question. The short answer is that using the Lee Factory Crimp Die provides a small but measurable increase in accuracy.

Saeed's results are at:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote