Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm WSM
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone come up with an accurate load for 140 Grain bullets. I have been working on some
but its been to cold to go to the range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is too cold. I worked up loads in October when it was 50F and found that both IMR 7828 and RL 22 gave 140 gr bullets 3175 fps instrumental in my M70. This seems to be maximum for my gun. I am using Fed 215's and seating them .015" off of the lands.

There is plenty of data now at www.shortmags.org

I have got consistant groups under an inch with 140 gr Sierra BT's and the flat base also. The Sierra MK's shot into 3/8" at 100 yds. Some old 160 gr Partitions also grouped very well and hit at almost the same spot as the 140's at 100 yds so I carried them for woods hunting last season.

This is an outstanding cartridge. It's just a little bit smaller than the 7MM Rem Mag which is just what I expected and perfect for me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. Its hard to find good info on the new
wsm's yet. I'll try some of the heaver bullets to work up a load for
deer season. Have you been using mag primers or plain lr. I under
stand that some have been using just the lr primers and have been
getting good results. They claim the mag primers are to hot for a
short column of powder????

<Savage 99>
posted
Maybe mag primers are too hot but that's what I started with and am staying with for now. I use just Fed 215's so far.

The loading data that I have read used mag primers also as did Nosler for the WSM's and SAUM's.

A rifle that is adjusted right (bedding) will shoot almost any ammo well that's consistant in it's assembly. Those 215 primers are rather high by the way and may not seat flush if the pockets are not depth qualified.

Right now I am working on varmint loads for that rifle and not heavy bullet loads. I really already have a "varmint" load with the 140 Sierras but I can't leave well enough alone and have some Hornady 120's here with plastic tips on them. Without running downstairs to look I think they are V Max. So far they are not grouping all that well.

You could buy an internal loading program. I am useing "Calculoader" by Aement and picked 83 grs as the water capacity. This produces maximum loads in my rifle.