THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Which is the Best of the Big Single Stage Press's?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which is the Best of the Big Single Stage Press's?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Here's a question for the resident Redding afficianados:

Why the Big Boss press??? Forever, it seemed, they had the Boss and the UltraMag. That line-up made perfect sense to me, and appeared to have it all covered. Then the arrival of the Big Boss. Just where does this thing fit in, and what does it do that the other two couldn't?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Can anyone compare the Redding Ultra Mag with the RCBS Ammo Master ??

I have both and I also have the Forster/Bonanza. When I load target ammo, I drag out the Forster, but the Forster has problems clearing certain dies under the loop in the handle.

Either of the other two would be fine. I really like the Redding with its primer catcher feature. It will hold very long cartridges and has plenty of strength in the compound leverage system. My Ammomaster is the one that I use for really big stuff, but I confess that the Redding would probably do anything, too. The ammomaster has what seems to be less metal in the rods, but in reality it should be plenty fine. Those three big steel rods should hold a car up.

If you could locate and old RCBS Big Max press, it would do well, along with the long discontinued A-2 mentioned above. The A-2 was an incredible press, the Big Max was also.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help to date folks.

By the sounds of it some people feel the Redding Ultra Mag is a stouter press than the Ammo Master.

I saw a Big Max for sale once years ago and never bought it....I really should have

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
I would choose the RCBS A-2 single stage ammo master over any ohter press, its a big stout press with a world of room to work in without having to cramp and stuff things in it and it will load 50 caliber machine gun ammo...

I did a lot of homework before I purchased mine for my big bore rifles, mostly N.E. rounds that are long and big..It fits my needs...It's purchase is a decision I have never regretted..I find myself using my Hollywood Senior less and less and its a great press in its own right....

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote