New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deburring brass question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a problem deburring the outside of the necks when I trim 223 cases. When I trim I don't have any problems with the inside of the necks but when I try to deburr the outside it still leaves a ridge of brass on the outside at the case mouth. The only way I can get it to come off is to hold the case at an angle and move it around so that the angle of the deburring tool takes it off. If I were only doing a few cases a week it wouldn't be much of a problem but I'm doing well over a 1000 cases just about every week. I've tried Lyman, RCBS and others. Any ideas?

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest you try a Gracey or Girard trimmer. They both trim and debur inside and outside at the same time. And the are both quite fast.
I have a link for Gracey but not Girard

http://www.matchprep.com

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=145038&t=11082005

Try this with your RCBS works great on my .223 and 7MM

Posts: 16 | Location: North East Alabama | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno what those links are going to show, but it may be your cutting with too much pressure and mushrooming the case mouth. Or your cutters are needing a sharpen?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have experienced the same small ridge on my brass when I outside de-burr.

I solve the problem in the same way you are doing, that is to move the base of the case around in a circle while turning the de-burring tool.
To make this job easier I purchased a Forster DBT base http://www.forsterproducts.com/Pages/deburring.htm
With the DBT tool screwed down to a piece of wood and the wood held in the jaws of my work bench vice, I can easily rotate the cartridge case head in a small circle with one hand all the while turning the crank handle of the DBT tool with the other hand. Everything is nice and stable while in the vice.
I push the case into the cutter with very gentle pressure this is important too much pressure makes the problem worse. There is a bit of art to this so practice makes perfect chamfers.

I have 3 different brands de-burring tools and they all left a small ridge at the leading edge (case side as opposed to mouth side) of the outside chamfer. I think the brass is so soft it would rather plow itself out of the cutters way (leaving the ridge) than be sheared off cleanly by the rotating cutter blades.

Some times if I have a case that is not cooperating in the removal of this small ridge, I stop using the de-burring tool and just twist the case mouth on a piece of 800 grit sand paper it doesn't take twisting to sand off the ridge.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thank you so much for your imput it is appreciated.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may also want to look into putting a new cutter on your trimmer. As the cutter dulls, the burr created on the trimming surface becomes more prominent, and thus harder to remove. Since the cutter dulls over time, it often escapes notice.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
You may also want to look into putting a new cutter on your trimmer. As the cutter dulls, the burr created on the trimming surface becomes more prominent, and thus harder to remove. Since the cutter dulls over time, it often escapes notice.- mike

X 2- thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
muzzle:
I think you're putting too much pressure on the outside as well. I don't load the number of cases at one time that you do so don't have a powered deburring setup. I do use the tool made by Forster tho. It's nothing more than a hand turned holder for their deburring tool. You do need to use their deburring tool with it however. The RCBS one will not fit. I mounted the unit on a piece of plywood & clamp it to the edge of the bench. It's faster & easier than holding and using the deburring tool in your hand. Think I got my setup from Lock, Stock & Barrel or you could get it direct from Forster. Just another thought for ya but I think that if I had 1000 pieces of brass to work, I too would get a powered trimmer.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm inquiring about a Gracey trimmer. I am the coach/sponsor for the Wickenburg High School High Power Team here in Wickenburg, AZ. I guess we are the only team like this in the world. I have 10-11 shooters on the team and we practice two afternoons a week and then shoot matches about 2 weekends per month as well as the National Championships at Camp Perry. You can imagine how much ammo that takes and how much time. Anything that will save me even a few seconds per round works out to a lot of time when you load this much ammo. Smiler
I hope we can work out an arrangement with Gracey so that they will accept a purchase order so we can buy one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you load for that many people/guns, then the Giraud trimmer is the one to get. It is more powerful (faster) than the Gracey - otherwise also a nice machine.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm

For either, you can get attachements which will automatically deburr during the trimming operation.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod03.htm

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Muzzle
.....Congrats for taking those youngsters under your wing!

Reminds me of a time back in the late 70's when I held NRA sponsered Hunter Safety Courses right in my metal shop class where I taught school.

Brought in lots of guns to demonstrate safe handling, etc. and no one complained one bit. Even took the kids out for some shooting sessions.

Can you imagine trying that nowadays in a school here in California?

JJB

Posts: 20 | Location: Santa Rosa, California | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
If you load for that many people/guns, then the Giraud trimmer is the one to get.

+1 You will be very happy with the Giraud trimmer, and unlike the Gracey, you'll not have to modify the motor to get the needed power.