Find
Notify
Tools

17 Mach IV
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
Can someone tell me exactly which Redding dies I need to go from 221 Fireball to 17 Mach IV? There are several different Redding Mach IV dies and I'm not sure which one I need.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.saubier.com/smallcaliber/caseforming.html

Might help, they're into little calibres at that site.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding offers as a set, the form die (Fireball to 17 MK IV-step 1), and a "trim die" (step 2), but I get great results just using the form die, then using the FL 17 Mach IV die.
Depending on the firearm, I recommend the Redding 3-die set (17MK IV neck, FL, and seater), plus the form die.
Get some cases and lube, and go for it.
Many shooters have found the best cases for the 17MK IV come from starting with 223 brass, but I have not gone to that step (yet)....
and I agree, saubier.com is THE site for the small caliber guys.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Redding offers as a set, the form die (Fireball to 17 MK IV-step 1), and a "trim die" (step 2), but I get great results just using the form die, then using the FL 17 Mach IV die.
Depending on the firearm, I recommend the Redding 3-die set (17MK IV neck, FL, and seater), plus the form die.
Get some cases and lube, and go for it.
Many shooters have found the best cases for the 17MK IV come from starting with 223 brass, but I have not gone to that step (yet)....
and I agree, saubier.com is THE site for the small caliber guys.

My rifle is going to be a Cooper 21 Heavy Barrel Varminter. I have seen the 223 to 17M4 dies, but they are really expensive. However, I do have about 2000 223 shells but only 300 fireball shells.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote