New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumblers Tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 30 years ago, I found a Thumblers Tumbler at a garage sale for $3. I use it to tumble brass I was not familiar with them and thought a kid's toy and didn't buy it. Later at another garage sale I found a second one for $3 and bought it. I didn't figure it would last very long but $3 what the heck? First thing I didn't like about it was having to plug and unplug it to use it. I bought a toggle switch and installed it. There were already some holes in it that can be used and it was easy to see where the switched should be wired in. Vast improvement that the factory should have done.

The next thing I didn't like after I used it a while was the belts wore out. Some sewing machine belts would somewhat fit, but soon needed replacing. Easy fix: Find some thick leather, the thicker the better. Using a strip knife set the width of the cut to equal thickness of the leather and you'll have a square strip. Using a leather edging tool, edge all four edges. Then soak the strip in neetsfoot oil and roll it back and forth on a flat surface. You'll have a piece of leather close enough to perfectly round to work. Put it in place on the machine and trim to length. Butt the two ends together and use an ice pick or some such make small hole and you can use a piece of wire, large staple or even heavy fishing line and connect the ends. In short time the belt will initially stretch so re-trim and re-attach. May have to do this a couple times when it is breaking in, but then it breaks and seems to work forever. My belt is now about 25 years old and still going.

The tumblers tumbler is a small unit and fits better on a shelf than most of the vibratory type.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My first was a large Vibratory Thumlers. got it in 1897 and it is still going strong. Next I got a Model B and use it with SS media. Love it. Just finished putting together my third, an A-R12 that I bought off Craigslist for next to nothing. I replaced the motor with the high speed 3000 rpm model and that thing is amazing.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I bought my first one in 1974 for tumbling rocks,which it was made for.
They were never cheap to buy. I paid 75 bucks for mine.A lot of money back them.
I started to use them in '85 for brass. Have never stopped.
Over the years I have replaced the drive motor twice,the belt several times and added a cooling fan for the motor.
In the 90's I found the nylon sleeve bearings for the shafts were worn out. They must be oiled before each use.
I got tired of the mess and installed four sealed ball bearings.Easy to do.
The tumblers are still made and are still expensive.
They work better than any other I have tried.
You got a great deal for three bucks.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rapidrob---Yes a great deal for $3 and still regret not having two great deals. I wore out a barrel for them and it cost more than $3. I keep thinking my motor is going to konk (konk doesn't seem to be a word but it ought to be) out as I have to spin it to get it going, but once started it runs.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago i bought one of their large units.

The belt is just an o-ring and i can get them from the auto parts store.

The rubber drum has some cracks but it still works good.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plainsman--Never thought about an auto parts store. Leatherwork being one of my hobbies, had all the tools and material to make the leather belt. I suspect you've not had an O ring last 25 years though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Plainsman--Never thought about an auto parts store. Leatherwork being one of my hobbies, had all the tools and material to make the leather belt. I suspect you've not had an O ring last 25 years though.

The "O" ring on mine has made it 23 yrs. so far Wink popcorn

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's Thumler's Tumblers, not Thumbler's Tumblers. And if you buy from the factory they will sell refurbs or scratch and dent cheaper.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheaper than my $3 one, I'll buy a truckload.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I still have one with the big drum and the 2 small drums. I retired it when I got a vibratory unit.

It would jump the rollers or the motor thermo coupler would shut it off.

Posts: 6491 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bragged on it and motor finally gave up the ghost. Replaced motor and back in business.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold my Thumler's unit and bought a Rebel 17 tumbler. insanely rugged and holds 17 pounds.

1 Gallon water = 8 pounds
SS pieces = 5 pounds
Brass = 4 pounds
1-2 Tablespoons Palmolive, Dove, Dawn, etc.
1/4 Teaspoon Lemi-shine
2 Shots of white vinegar for tap water with beaucoup minerals
Tumble for 1 - 4 hours depending on filth level of brass

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand dealing with water and wet cases-it sucks the bag and to think this tumbler breaks down and requires spare parts-no thanks. I will stick to a vibratory tumbler.RCBS will send me a replacement motor for free.I try to shoot every week and reloading for that is very time consuming.If I wasn't working 7 days a week and trying to exercise regularly etc... I might have chosen the wet method of cleaning brass but even then I doubt that.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that cleaning brass has taken on a life of it's own. Do you people do any actual shooting?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
It appears that cleaning brass has taken on a life of it's own. Do you people do any actual shooting?

Indeed, far more since the SS Media does such a great job in a fraction of the time it took to vibratory tumble in walnut. No need to clean the primer pockets after tumbling.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I sold my Thumler's unit and bought a Rebel 17 tumbler. insanely rugged and holds 17 pounds.

Same here. I bought both for a side-by-side comparison and knew almost immediately I would be returning the Thumler's Tumbler. The Rebel 17 is just a much better build and thought out design.

P.S. Our "recipes" are nearly identical as well. Great results.

http://www.stainlesstumblingme...mblers-rebel-17.html

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme...umbler/dp/B00IOE5K5Y

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler. It has a large drum and is gear driven rather than belt driven. Seems to be built fairly stout. It comes with 5 lbs of stainless steel media and two strainer to catch the brass. I don't know that it will last 30+ years, but I doubt that I will be reloading when I'm 96 anyway.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:

Same here. I bought both for a side-by-side comparison and knew almost immediately I would be returning the Thumler's Tumbler. The Rebel 17 is just a much better build and thought out design.

P.S. Our "recipes" are nearly identical as well. Great results.

http://www.stainlesstumblingme...mblers-rebel-17.html

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme...umbler/dp/B00IOE5K5Y

I have a Thumlers I bought in 1976... had to replace the motor about 2005, and of course a bunch of belts... but I do really like the way they have improved the design with this one.

I wonder if the lockdown nuts will fit a Thumler? I find those wingnuts and washers to be the biggest PITA...

also can you use standard vacuum cleaner belts with this one? It's probably just the photo, but it looks like its a slightly larger belt.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use mine dry. Never have tried any of the wet tumbling.