New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS case lube residue and primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After sizing cases sometimes there is a bit of lube left on them, is it worth washing off before you go priming?

I know primers are sensitive to any oils, though I have hit them with a hammer after a good soak in WD40 and they still went off.

Should I bother washing them (net in the dishwasher) or just give them a good wipe?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use RCBS case lube and after sizing, trimming, primer pocket cleaning and neck expanding the cases, I dump them into a bucket of hot soapy water and give them all a good washing, then rinse in hot fresh water. Once done, I shack off all the excess water, dry them with a towel and stand them up in a tray and let them air dry for a couple/few days in a warm place, then flip them over for a few more days. Once done I inspect them to make sure that they are dry, paying particular attention to the primer pockets and flash holes. This gives me spotless, oil free cases with never a problem.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There shouldn`t be any lube in the primer pockets, and a quick wipe with a paper towel will suffice to remove the lube from the case body. I tumble mine for 5 minutes or so and that seems to take care of the lube in the necks and out.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just wet a heavy duty paper shop towel and wipe them down. There shouldn't be any lube any where near the primer pocket. I also take the same hvy duty paper towel and tear off tiny strips and plunge them in the case neck with an undersize nylon bore brush to remove case neck lube. For 20 hunting rounds I'm probably looking at a max of 3-5 minutes to do this.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick wipe is sufficient to remove the residue.

What you don't want is a real greasy case that when fired in the chamber will not grip the walls and thus put more back thrust on the bolt face.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
All the washing sounds like too much work to me! I must be lazier than I thought Wink

Depending on the case I will often de-prime, resize, trim etc and then toss them in the tumbler before priming. I have two tumblers and the one is used exclusively for removing lube.

All that is necessary is the wipe, I just like the cases to be extra shiney.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote