THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there any reason to brush out the case neck?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been watching some of the Y-Tube videos about rail guns. Never heard of such before. Looks expensive.

At any rate one of the videos showed a person with what looked like a wire brush, brushing out the inside of the case neck. I've not done that in the past. Just cleaned the brass, swabbed out the inside with a Q-Tip to make sure there isn't any left over cleaning stuff in there, lubed and loaded.

Any reason to brush out the inside of the case neck for the average Joe? http://www.bing.com/videos/sea...70066AAB58E0FBDC99A5

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
p

It may change the neck holding force somewhat and affect to a small extent the powder burning rate but to only a small amount. Not to fear. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only brush out the neck when I have to trim cases. I don't know that it accomplishes anything but it makes me feel better.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I brush out cases only on black powder cases after washing them in vinegar.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Quite a timely post as I was only just recently reloading a batch of 7mm-08 cartridges for my two sons to use and noticed after sizing, cleaning and priming the cases that some of the once fired Federals had the odd spot or smear of verdigris inside the neck.
I use graphite for inside neck lube and don't usually swab out this area when reloading but on seeing the verdigris I chucked a soft bronze bore brush in the battery drill and ran each case onto it as it spun, not too fast.

The inside case necks looked real good after that with no staining and a slight polish and bullets seated nicely with good neck tension.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I often do not tumble or otherwise clean my brass. I also do not lube the inside of my case necks. When not cleaned or lubed, the brass will greatly benefit by brushing out the case neck to remove whatever is in there. This allows the neck expander to move more freely and saves effort on the press downstroke.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that it saves wear and tear on dies, or at least on buttons. I do it because I think it may result in more consistent bullet pull.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Im lazy.....so I won't do it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I brush out the case necks because its twice as hard to size them if I don't. The expander ball seems to have way more friction in unbrushed cases.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I brush out the case necks because its twice as hard to size them if I don't. The expander ball seems to have way more friction in unbrushed cases.

+2

A bore brush in a drill motor makes short work of it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
p

It may change the neck holding force somewhat and affect to a small extent the powder burning rate but to only a small amount. Not to fear. beerroger

This.

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Part of my routine is to use the right size plastic brush from (former) mica dry lube station/set-up from Midway prior to lubing .

After trimming or chamfering, I do it again as I clean last vestiges of lube with cleaning cloth. Over time I have noticed black flakes accumulating around the base of brush station.

I also use Imperial dry lube (graphite) instead of mica or "goop" inside and outside necks before sizing, FWIW, but think the black stuff is burnt powder. This would have some minor effect, over time, if never cleaned.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're referring to inside case neck lubing, yes, do it on all bottle neck cases. Simply makes sizing easier.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried brushing/scrubbing/polishing of case neck interiors, no noticeable difference to accuracy has been noted.
One thing I do that HAS yielded tighter groups, when using an expander button type die, use a VERY SMALL amount of powdered graphite on a calibre specific nylon brush BEFORE SIZING IT. A few strokes with a tiny amount of graphite seems to stop nearly all runout on necks. It also reduces 'pull' on the neck, minimising case growth in the neck.
I do not remove the graphite, however, it is my experience it helps negate any 'cold welding' of the bullet to the case neck and my neck tension stays pretty consistent.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote