New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 10!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a duplicate of a post that I put on the varmint forum... however I thought it was worthwhile to share with my fellow shooters and reloaders;

Reloader 10:

I have been known to state that I think it is much harder to find a bad powder that doesn’t work well in a 223 case, then it is to find one that works well……

Just about any powder seems to turn in pretty darn fair accuracy out of a 223, especially a Bolt Action one, as long as the barrel is anywhere near having some throat left to it….

Sure we all find some powders that rise even head and shoulders above all the fine powders for a 223: Some of my favorite have become Varget, H 335, H 380 & Benchmark from Hodgdon, RL 7 from Alliant, and about all of the Mid to Fast Powders from IMR work well… from SR 4759, to 4198, 3031, 4895, 4320… and even 4064, although the grains are a little larger for getting down that narrow 22 caliber neck….

Therefore I seldom even bother trying out any new powders when I see them advertised….

ON a fluke really, I picked up a Container of Reloader 10….I only took it as it was the last one on the shelf, and the dealer said it had been moving very slow…. Guess a lot of guys also don’t care to try out something new or different… when there are so many powders available that already work…..

Load data is also not very available for Reloader 10… I was able to locate some minimal information upon Alliant’s web site……

However, to my fellow varmint and target shooters…. It is definitely worth your time and effort to try a Container of Reloader 10….. It has turned in one hole groups from a variety of 223s that I own… It has even cleaned up one that has a barrel that is close to being a candidate for a new barrel… having somewhere between 8 to 9,000 rounds down the barrel… on a Sporter weight Ruger 77 Mk 2…..

Not only is it accurate, but it has also turned in some pretty impressive velocities! Like 3700 fps with a 40 grain Bullet out of a 24 inch barrel….

I have almost gone thru my first pound of it, but I am not looking to go over and buy another pound of it, where I got this one at….. I am looking to stop in a pick up a 5lb container or two the next business trip up toward Portland Oregon….

A little work with the 22.250 has also shown quite a bit of promise!

So for all of you varmint shooter and target shooters, I highly recommend giving it a try! Like myself, I am sure you will be impressed with the results your time will give you….
Putting some magic back into that 22 caliber barrel!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I hear you, I've used it (again having to develop my own loading data) in my 358, Whelen, 9.3x62, 6mm BR, 7mm BR, 250-3000, and some light loads in my 6.5x57 and it is a wonderful powder. Good to excellent velocities and especially impressive accuracy. I emailed Alliant and suggested they hurry up and get more 10x data up before everyone passed it by. New powders live and die by loading data, and I think Alliant is realy dropping the ball by being so lazy about putting out data...

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
This is a duplicate of a post that I put on the varmint forum... however I thought it was worthwhile to share with my fellow shooters and reloaders;

Reloader 10:

I have been known to state that I think it is much harder to find a bad powder that doesn’t work well in a 223 case, then it is to find one that works well……

Just about any powder seems to turn in pretty darn fair accuracy out of a 223, especially a Bolt Action one, as long as the barrel is anywhere near having some throat left to it….

Sure we all find some powders that rise even head and shoulders above all the fine powders for a 223: Some of my favorite have become Varget, H 335, H 380 & Benchmark from Hodgdon, RL 7 from Alliant, and about all of the Mid to Fast Powders from IMR work well… from SR 4759, to 4198, 3031, 4895, 4320… and even 4064, although the grains are a little larger for getting down that narrow 22 caliber neck….

Therefore I seldom even bother trying out any new powders when I see them advertised….

ON a fluke really, I picked up a Container of Reloader 10….I only took it as it was the last one on the shelf, and the dealer said it had been moving very slow…. Guess a lot of guys also don’t care to try out something new or different… when there are so many powders available that already work…..

Load data is also not very available for Reloader 10… I was able to locate some minimal information upon Alliant’s web site……

However, to my fellow varmint and target shooters…. It is definitely worth your time and effort to try a Container of Reloader 10….. It has turned in one hole groups from a variety of 223s that I own… It has even cleaned up one that has a barrel that is close to being a candidate for a new barrel… having somewhere between 8 to 9,000 rounds down the barrel… on a Sporter weight Ruger 77 Mk 2…..

Not only is it accurate, but it has also turned in some pretty impressive velocities! Like 3700 fps with a 40 grain Bullet out of a 24 inch barrel….

I have almost gone thru my first pound of it, but I am not looking to go over and buy another pound of it, where I got this one at….. I am looking to stop in a pick up a 5lb container or two the next business trip up toward Portland Oregon….

A little work with the 22.250 has also shown quite a bit of promise!

So for all of you varmint shooter and target shooters, I highly recommend giving it a try! Like myself, I am sure you will be impressed with the results your time will give you….
Putting some magic back into that 22 caliber barrel!

cheers
seafire
cheers

When I talked to Ben at Alliant couple years ago, he said one could use Benchmark for reloading data, since they're about the same powder. I've had very good accuracy with RE10, though my loads are on the slow side, I imagine.
Shooting at 200yds. with 20.5grs and a 55VMax yeilds a 10 shot group around 1.25",, the more I put in, the groups get a little bigger. But I'm sure a praire puppy wouldn't know the diff. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 17MIV, 10X has shown to be slightly quicker than Benchmark. Just received 2lbs more of 10X, as it is a great powder to have around. I also use it in the 222Rem and a 20-222Improved.
Too bad more lab data does not exist for 10X; maybe the next round of reloading manuals will have load data.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I along with a fellow poster on these forums have been using it for about 5 months now in our 22-250 CZ 550's. It's a GREAT powder, meters well, shoots consistant, and really does not seem too temp sensitive.

All I know is I watched it one hole with about 50 rounds today. It's made my 22-250 boring.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waffen and Seafire, The only data I can find shows 34.5 grains with 40 grain bulets, 33.5 with 45 grainers and 32.o with 50 grain bullets!! I'm gonna go load a few right now and hope to test tomorrow!! What I do remember about R-10 is that in my XP-100 that "hairtrigger" now owns in .223, the R-10 was the best powder I messed with!! Haven't used any for some time but headed to the bench right now!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL 10 for a couple of years now. It was almost as good as 3031 in the 219I with 40 gr pills. In the 358 Win it's excellent with 180 and 200 gr bullets and packs a little better than 3031 in that short case and thats important.

In the 308 with 150 and now 110 gr bullets the accuracy and velocity is outstanding.

In hot weather it was similar to 3031. In other words it's a very good powder.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD;

With the lack of data, I have been playing with it in the 223 case so far...I have kept it to use with bullets of 55 grains and under...

Since reload manuals typical load their ammo a little light to keep the lawyers on the snoop instead of on the offense....I have played with the 'what if' parameters....None of this has been chronographed, and I know you are smart enough to work up, but the warning is for some of the others that might read this, that are not as experienced....

It accuracy has help to marvelous results....

I have tested RL 10 to 27.5 grains with a 40 grain Sierra HP and 40 grain Ballistic Tips, and a Winchester Small rifle primer.. Lake City Brass.... this has not been chronographed but has proven safe in 4 different 223s, and even cleaned up the declining accuracy in a Ruger Sporter, that needs a new barrel, but I am still playing around to what caliber to have it chambered for... Torn between another 223, 204 or 6 x 45...

NOT Reloader 10, but since you are into velocity and varminting.. I also pushed the envelope with H 335 in the same case and primer, and bullet... to see if there was any loss in accuracy, or improvement... did tests up to 32 grains with H 335 and a 40 grain HP Sierra... not seeing any pressure signs etc.. when I reloaded the brass, no loose primer pocket, the brass was not stiff when I resized it, full length...

I am going to try and chronograph some soon, with the weather's cooperation....accuracy was great in my Ruger's tired worn out barrel....that is why I am hesitant on the 204 idea....
Notice:
Anyone reading this, work your load up if this idea interests you... this is about 4 grains or more higher than I have seen in reload manuals...

It was safe in 3 of my rifles, but it may not be in yours.. so go forward safely, and work up....
thanks!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Dont know if it helps but the load I have been using in my 22-250 is as follows:

53gr Sierra BTHP (SMK)
32gr Reloader 10x
Federal 210M
Norma Brass
2.40 O.A.L

I chronyed this at 3650FPS yesterday out of a 26" barrel.

A friend of mine and a fellow poster on here runs the exact same load, but bumped it up to 33gr of Reloader 10x. He chronyed the load at 3750 yesterday, IIRC. It also happened to be more accurate out of the same gun!

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote