New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WSM dies?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the options? I know the cheap RCBS dies floating around won't work due to headspace problems......are there any other option short of custom high $$$ dies?

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
What "headspace problems"?

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS produced a run of 338 WSM dies and then Winchester changed the case dimensions.....Midsouth had the RCBS dies on clearance......I talked to RCBS and they said the dies had been recalled because of the headspace issue.....

posted Hide Post
if i rechamber my 17rem to 17-223 can i fireform factory 17rem brass ?

Posts: 8 | Location: mtn. home ar | Registered: 20 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in assuming that the length to the datum line of the cartridge was shortened? (That would make the die "headspace long".)

If the datum line was placed farther out, then presumably all one would have to do to use the RCBS sizing die would be to turn it an appropriate amount farther out of the press.

If the length to the datum line was shortened, it should be possible to grind the bottom end of the die off (or turn it off in a lathe using a carbide cutting tool), and make it work.

No doubt, whatever changed, RCBS didn't want the liability issues that went with that "run" of "incorrect" dies, so scrapped them.

How much are they asking for them, anyway?

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fairly sure they said the RCBS dies positioned the shoulder too far down on the case.....in other words, Winchester decided to move the shoulder farther out to gain case capacity.....I think the closeout price was around $15 but RCBS asked where the dies were offered for sale and said they would be contacting Midsouth to have them removed and returned to RCBS.....

If my info is correct, turning the dies out would not allow the web of the case to be properly resized......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In screw-in type dies, most of the the web isn't normally resized anyway...it's in the shell-holder or the rounded "entry port" part of the die bottom. Unless one's rounds are overloaded, I wouldn't expect much expansion at the web of the case.

If they are only about $15, seems to me it would be worth trying them on your cases. If they go into your rifle all right after going through the "screwed-out" RCBS die, what's been harmed?

If you don't like the way they work, you can always sell them at a gun show for at least that much. <G>

Best wishes,

AC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I could probably trade them in at RCBS for something else?

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The best option is the Redding S dies in 300WSM. You can use the bushings for 338 which will be the .361 and .362 bushings most likely. You will have to open up the neck a bit in the die but that part is easy. You can buy them in either the FL or the Neck dies.

You can use the Hornady short body seater, like for a 22-250 and from Hornady obtain the floating sleeve for 338's and you have it.

Someone recently said something about Forster producing the 338 WSM which is truly the 338/300 dies.

Or, you can order a custom die from Hornady for 338/300WSM. They charged me $85. I also used the Redding option as well as the Hornady sizer. The Redding and Hornady options are the least cost presently. I don't know of anyone producing a 338/300 WSM die yet.

You're correct in what you heard from RCBS. They produced 168 dies with a body about .140" shorter than the 300WSM. They recalled them but never got them all back.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

Can you see a problem with using the recalled RCBS dies like full length dies are used for neck sizing? Would leaving them backed out .140" work?

I wish Winchester would go ahead and legitimize the 338 WSM so dies and correct headstamped brass would be available and cheap!

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
No, I don't see a problem, but what are you going to do when you want to bump the shoulder back? I wouldn't touch them. Too many problems downstream. If I was going to spend the money for a 338 WSM, the very least I would do is use the Redding S dies.

With the fake RCBS dies, someone will ultimately get hold of the die and try to normally full size a case and ruin it, or worse if it's a new reloader. They could chamber and fire with a severe headspace problem that could do damage to a gun or a body. They will neck size but what's the point?

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"What are you going to do when you want to bump the shoulder back?"

Well, if it was me, I'd just turn the die about 0.002" farther into the press.

And, if I was worried about some bumpkin getting hold of the die somewhere down the road, I'd put a note in the box with it that it was dangerous and to be destroyed, not sold (in case I died suddenly and it was in my estate).

If I got rid of the rifle and had no need for the die, with something that only cost me $15 and gave me good service, I think I might be able to afford to throw it away.

AC