New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x56 MS--help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to get myself a Manlicher Shonauer in 8x56 caliber...I can't seem to locat brass..the difference in 8x57 and 8x56 is very little so I was wondering if one could resize 8x57 in 8x56 dies and get er done?

If not who has brass and is it available? or what parent case can I form brass from.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
Privi Partizan make them.Sent you a link,any problems call me.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also make good 8x56mm brass from assorted 8x57mm Mauser. The problem is that there is a variance within lots that messes up you just setting the die and running with them. You need a set of 8x56mm loading dies and a stock of 8mm Mauser. My best luck has been with Winchester brass, then Norma. If you can find Privi in 8x56mm, snap it up. Good Luck

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornSee reply in wildcat forum. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yikes!!!!!!!!! Just looking at another site and discovered that the Privi-Partizan ammo is the WRONG 8x56mm. There are TWO 8x56mm cartridges, the 8x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer (for the turning bolt action) and the 8x56mm Rimmed Mannlicher round for the straight pull action. Aside from the rimmed case, they are indeed quite different, look in Cartridges of the World. They also use different bullets diameters and of course different dies. Be careful!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several 8x56 rounds.....

Here's yours:

8 x 56 MS

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
Yikes!!!!!!!!! Just looking at another site and discovered that the Privi-Partizan ammo is the WRONG 8x56mm. There are TWO 8x56mm cartridges, the 8x56mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer (for the turning bolt action) and the 8x56mm Rimmed Mannlicher round for the straight pull action. Aside from the rimmed case, they are indeed quite different, look in Cartridges of the World. They also use different bullets diameters and of course different dies. Be careful!

LLS
OOops!! Well hold me down over a barrel and call me Nora !

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I owned and shot an 8 X 56 M-S 1908 fullstock carbine for many years. It was a wonderful sporting rifle. RCBS loading dies work fine for reloading and the full length die can be used for caseforming from 8 mm Mauser, 30-06, 270, etc. I found Remington new brass to be a bit easier in forming.

Full length the chosen case in the die a bit long with out the primer punch, trim to length still a little long and then full length to fit the chamber and do a final trim. I always preferred a case to size down or one a bit longer, not 7 x 57 for example. It turns out that all was well with handloads usually running about 2-3 grains less than published high pressure 8mm Mauser data. I still have a variety of cases including some original RWS so pm if you have an intrest. This includes a box of 1937 WW 8 X 56, the last cases made in the US with a M-S caliber headstamp.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote