New
Find
Notify
Tools

My 6.5 WSM loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought I'd pass along my data for my 6.5 WSM rifle since I'd looked for quite a while and couldn't find any, and everyone seems to be looking for some. My rifle has a 26" Lilja No.3 contour. I used Winchester 300 WSM brass. All of the data is from fired cases. I am posting this since I actually got a chronograph instead of guessing. I really didn't care what the rifle did as long as it was accurate. The numbers seem to be on par with the other published data for the 270 WSM as far as peak fps and having less surface area to burn powder against.

I will continue to post additional info as I shoot if anyone seems to care.

I shot both Hornady Interlocks and Nosler Partitions all 140 grain. The first load was 60.5 of RL-25. This was atop a 215 GM primer. I don't recal the exact AOL, but think it was 2.89". The Partitions averaged 3127 fps and the Interlocks 3125. I didn't figure S.D. on either, but the Partitions data looks like around 10. I have only fired 100 rounds in the rifle, and was not really impressed with the accuracy for the price I paid. I had it throated specifically for the 140 Hornady bullet. I shot at 200 yards. I did shoot a group that should be in the high .8's at 200 with Partitions. I was quite pleased with this, as it makes my rifle quite capable of taking decent sized game (my opinion....400 lb critters and under). I may stop here as a 140 grain Nosler with a B.C. of .480+ and a S.D. of .287 should be a real sweet deal as a hunting round. Almost makes me want to start a 270 fight. Real world game performance may not be visible, but I still think it's better than a 270 on paper or other.

I also tried Retumbo in 65.0 with Fed 210GM. This load averaged 3157 with the Hornady and didn't register on the chrono for the Noslers for some reason, possibly darkness?? I have shot and used 66.0 of Retumbo, and it seemed to work OK, but maybe a little too hot. I'll get back tomorrow with some addtional data, as my Supervisor is on the prowl on a midnight shift. Just wanted to pass along.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
Sounds like your loads are right on par with what I've chronographed and pressure tested with my 26-27" barrels. I would expect max for 140 gr. bullet with about 61gr. H 1000 and about 64-65gr Retumbo with about 3150fps. The max with 120gr Nosler is around 3350fps or so. Good to here you can get sub .5MOA at 200 yards. Sounds like you have a keeper. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have scrapped the Retumbo loads because the deviation was uncontrolable. I originally started with 66.0 with out my chronograph. I didn't get a stuck bolt like I've gotten with 65.5, but I've lost several cases to large primer pockets and a few blown primers. A load of 64.5 Retumbo and 215 GM's had me start at 3174 fps but the next shot took me to 3243 fps. No stuck case, but I had to wait for the action to shrink and cool. Too much BS.

Reloader 25 has been very good to me. I was really hoping for the Hodgdon Extreme thing to work out and treated RL-25 like the red headed step-child, only to have it really shine. I am perplexed by one thing. These are not huge strings, but three shot groups, as I will not sacrifice my nice rifle and barrel for load development and science.

RL25 59.5 3109
RL25 60.0 3132
RL25 60.5 3125
RL25 61.0 3003

Can anyone interpret the above?? Does that mean that I've reached max load and efficiency at 60.0?? I'll re-shoot any if there is valid feedback.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
JesseJaymes,

I have also posted on the trouble with retumbo thread. It sounds like you are at max. Some of the other people in these forums have reported and I have seen velocity variation when pressures get too high. This was much worse when I used H870.
I would expect 3150fps to be max for 140gr bullet. I have recently tested Hornady 129gr super shock tip. I used 65gr H1000 vel about 3150fps and its starting to get warm. Fortunately, the primer pockets still hold the primer but they are definitely a little looser. I don't think there is much room to go. This data helps to support the fact that you are at your limits.
I know there have been recent reports of fantastic velocities, but after building and testing three of these rifles, this is what can be done with a 26-27" barrel.

<grkldoc>
posted
JesseJaymes,

Hopefully this helps a little.
I hooked up the peak strain meter to the 6.5WSM 26" barrel and received the following data

129gr HornadySST 66gr H1000 3230fps 68000psi

You probably don't care much about this but...

95grHVmax 69gr H4831SC 3700fps 66000psi
68gr 3632fps
66gr 3500fps

As far as your 140gr. bullets I would say that you are at max.

Based on my collected data for all rifles, with a 26-27" barrel and a single base powder I would expect the following max velocities(65000psi).

95gr 3700fps
108gr 3500fps
120gr 3350fps
129gr 3200fps
140gr ?3100fps

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the data. I was going to ask your opinion or projected loads for a few powders. I have a few hundred 129 Hornady Interlocks, but after my antelope, and one coyote with the 140's, I won't use the 129's for more than 'yotes. As a former PA resident, they'd be sweet on 'chucks.

I am at work and don't recall my personal notes I put together on probable max loads, but from memory, I think I am projecting RL-22 to max around 57 grains, and RL-19 at 56. The only fly in the ointment is the published Lazzeroni data. His data is max'd with 53.0 RL-19 for 3150 fps(24" barrel). His loads are usually the very limit.

I think the RL-22 is probably right on with your suggestions earlier of a max of H1000 near 61.0 and RL-22 ususaly using 3-4 grains less. Most data shows RL-19 a grain or two behind.

Do you really feel H1000 is the optimum powder for FPS with the 140's or can I try something else?

<grkldoc>
posted
JesseJaymes,

H1000 will not produce the fastest velocities. A double base powder eg. Reloader, N500 series could potentially give more velocity. Also Ball powders may give a little more because they can be slower than stick powders and therefore provide more potential energy at the same pressure eg. WC860 H870.
I use Hogdon powders exclusively because they are so consistent(with the exception of H870) and I can always find a load that works with good velocity. However, you have to be willing to trade your extra 50-100fps in velocity for better consistency/accuracy. I have made the decision to accept this compromise on a regular basis.
Except for small bullets, the N500 series probably is not slow enough for this expansion ratio. I believe with the heavy bullets the lower charge weight would offset its higher "energy density".
What was your experience with the 129gr bullets versus the 140gr. AMAX? It sounds like the 129's didn't perform well.

Sorry I didn't think of this sooner. I've been using CCI BR2 primers with all my loads and had no problems with Retumbo. It might be worth while to buy 100 of BR2 and try Retumbo again. Those Fed primers may be too hot. I don't think this cartridge needs a magnum primer. Sometimes the primer can make a big difference in consistency. If you can get retumbo to work you'll get some extra velocity.

[ 10-20-2002, 00:29: Message edited by: grkldoc ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again. Had a day off work and instead of shooting like I wanted to, I enjoyed the young one and drove the 120 mile round trip to buy powder. I picked up another pound of RL-25 as it has always performed and am trying some H1000. I'd like the consistancy also. A New Mexico morning may start out at 20 or so and get up to 75+ by noon. I am still sticking with my 140 Hornady and Partitions. No others on the "local" shelves. I'd like to try some of the new SST's in 129maybe, but for game bullets, I really would like them to stay together.

I have not tried the BR2 primers, but did shoot a few of the 210GM Federals. I can't remember the results. I think I'd get two real close and the third (fps) would be off the charts. May try another grain less of Retumbo if you think fps gets eratic when over max loads are used. I am not nearly high speed enough to have access to strain guages. I am just going by primer look, bolt lift, chrony, target impact and shoulder. I'll let you know if I can reach your H1000/139 load in my gun and what I'm getting for spped in the next few days.