New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading for combination guns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there an inherent difference between reloading for a bolt action rifle and a combination gun; in this case a Blaser BBF 12-70/30-06?

I mean, do bold actions by design allow for higher pressures and therefor accept higher (safe!) loads?

I do know all about working up loads, max loads and pressure signs, but I would like to know what might be expected when I start reloading for this Blaser.

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in general bolt action rifles will handle higher pressures than breaktop guns do. You will have a greater margin of safety when loading for a bolt action gun, than you would for the run of the mill breaktop gun. Loading a breaktop gun to max (or above) pressures, may not necessarily create a dangerous situation, but your gun may suffer over time and shoot loose.

There may be a few exceptions to this general rule (e.g. the guns using the "Jaeger block" locking system - e.g. the Blaser K77/K95), but your "Bockbuechsflinte" (BBF) is not one of them.

For the .30-06 in particular, that cartridge has a somewhat lower SAAMI pressure spec than other, similar cartridges do (e.g. the .270 Win). Whereas it may be totally safe to load the .30-06 to .270 Win pressures in a modern, strong bolt action, I'd stay away from that in your BBF.

In conclusion: be somewhat more conservative when loading for your combination gun.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reindeer,

I am in 100% agreement with mho.

My experinece tells me you'll hit some good accurate loads in your .30/06 Sprg. BBF way before you begin to enter the "High Pressure Zone".

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Reindeer,

I am in 100% agreement with mho.

My experinece tells me you'll hit some good accurate loads in your .30/06 Sprg. BBF way before you begin to enter the "High Pressure Zone".

Me too. If you are using a reloading manual, it is best to stick close to the "starting load" level when loading for breakopen guns.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I basically agree with you guys, a bolt action is usually tougher than most brake tops.

However, the Blaser B95 is factory chambered for high pressured rounds like the .243 Win, the .270 Win. and the .30 R Blaser.

The guns are proofshot at 5000 bar, seesource. I never heard any negative comments or suggestions not to load at the same level of pressure like a bold action.

My 30/06 seems to like the heavier bullets.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote