Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting Loads
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I'm a beginner at reloading and need some advice on getting a load developed for my .243 where do I start

Posts: 3 | Location: uk | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first place to start is with a good manual. I have several and for the beginner I think the Lyman 48 would be a good choice. Start at the beginning and read everything about the reloading process. Then after you have read everything the manual has to offer, read it again. Then go to the load data section and look up actual loading data. There really isn't any other safe way to do this, read first, load second.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then, after you do what steve4102 suggested, I'd start with the most "accurate" load and powder listed in the Sierra loading manual. I generally do this when I work with a chambering I'm not familiar with and be as consistant as you reasonably can from cartridge to cartridge. One other comment - I wouldn't start a load BELOW the listed minimum in the book either. Have fun and welcome to the real world of aggrivation & frustration.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have measured the distance to the lands, and have read that if you back off 15 - 20 thou you should have the correct jump, however if I measure the distance to the lands, back off bit the bullet is not seated deep enough to be held by the case!
What seating length should I aim for, is this a common problem with .243s (remmington 700, 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Silvertip bullets)
Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A standard rule of thumb is to seat the bullet at least "1" bullet diameter into the case.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most reloading manuals list a C.O.L. which is the Maximum recommended case with bullet seated overall length (tip of bullet to rear of the case). The C.O.L. would be a good place to start. When I first started reloading, I used one of my commercial loads as my model. Study hard, check and recheck you work and enjoy, it's a great hobby.

Posts: 30 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, I will be back with more questions in the near future.
Regards
Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All good advice.I also really like Lyman 48th.

H414 with any bullet weight would be a good choice in ball powder.My next choice is IMR4064 in "stick" powder,or Varget.There are many other powders that would work well that I haven`t tried,but those are 3 nice picks.

Stay with published starting loads and overall lengths until a load groups well and then experiment with overall length.The 55gr bullet doesnt have a lot of length to experiment however.

If the 55gr bullet doesn`t perform you may wanna try the 70grBT or 75grVMax.

Dont swab the bore during load development tests at the range.
Good Luck!

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
A standard rule of thumb is to seat the bullet at least "1" bullet diameter into the case.

aww just make a dummy round...

seat your bullet waaay out there, place it in your rifle and ram it home with the bolt.. it will eject with the bullet seated all the way into the lands...

Set your die down until it contacts the bullet... remove the bullet and turn your die seater down an 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn....

close enough for government work.. make sure it still will function via the magazine tho...if your rifle is long throated, it will not necessarily fit the magazine tho..
if you are target shooting them you can just single feed your rifle.. if hunting tho, you need to make sure they will fit the mag and also feed properly...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
Lyman's 48th is listed as "backordered" on most of the supplier's websites. I just checked with MidwayUSA and they now list it as discontinued and won't take orders for it. Someone may have it in stock. I noticed it listed on Amazon, but at 2-3x the normal price.

I had wanted one, but looks like I'll have to wait for 49.

There are other manuals. Speer's 14th edition is fairly new and a pretty good manual. Though some dealers are out of it too.

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote