New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business -personal reloading kiosk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any among us ever heard of, seen or have a business that offers equipment and/or supplies and advise to individuals for reloading activities on site? Yes, I know, when the second lawyer arrived on earth we had the beginning of the plaintiff's bar! I open the floor for your input.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just yesterday I saw a flyer at the local Sportsmans Warehouse about a "Reloading 101" session they were hosting.

Posts: 22 | Location: NW N.M. | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 years ago a small time dealer had presses set up in his show room. If you bought your components from him he allowed you to use his loading equipment. You had to furnish your own dies.

quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
Have any among us ever heard of, seen or have a business that offers equipment and/or supplies and advise to individuals for reloading activities on site? Yes, I know, when the second lawyer arrived on earth we had the beginning of the plaintiff's bar! I open the floor for your input.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my local shop offers reloading courses

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I am wanting to instruct, sell eqpt and provide eqpt for the individual to use for his own reloading. They would do their own reloading and with their own supplies albeit some supplies purchased from me. That way I THINK I could push some liability off on the major suppliers which they have anyway.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Can't really imagine doing it as a job/business. Better to offer it within a gun club or shooting range complete with membership and rules. Maybe something like concealed carry training classes are run. You'd pay for the class, training materials and after a few 'how to' efforts, shoot the results at the range with the weapons for which the loads prepared are tailored. No way I would want to answer for anything outside class.

2 cents

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not do it. somebody will screw up and claim you had a duty of care to supervise. it does not have to be true, and they do not have to be right. they only need to sue to run up your costs and insurance.

teaching reloading would be different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BNagel. Was thinking of having concealed carry classes as well and appreciate your insight. May also grow into ranch real estate, etc. My current location being within city limits causes plans to fall within city regs., etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would talk with someone experienced with business and liability insurance.

I think what you are talking about gets you out of needing an FFL (for manufacturing of ammunition, but best to check with the ATF on that as well...) but you will need some sort of liability insurance, and it will likely not be cheap, especially since you will need a reasonably high cap and this is probably considered relatively high risk.

I think that what you want to do would be possible, and reasonable, depending on the insurance costs. Of course, you will also need to comply with zoning laws (this is not something to do in your basement for cash, IMO. The city can call it manufacturing a hazardous product and nail you to the wall unless you get your i's dotted and t's crossed first.)

As BNagel said, adding it to an already existing business probably is the most reasonable thing.

Posts: 10797 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Suggest you look into the NRA Basic Metallic Reloading Course. When I hold these classes students learn reloading under a proven course syllabics, get a full set of instructional materials, load ammunition and receive a course completion certificate.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago there was a business here called Roll Your Own Ammo. He had several presses for metalic cartridge reloading. I do not know how he charged folks for using the presses, powder measures, instruction, etc. He was open in the evenings after his regular job. Seemed to be busy enough, but closed. Maybe other job was to much, who knows. I believe he also sold reloading supplies.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote