New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here in Mississippi it is legal to use certain 45/70s during the primitive weapon season. I thinking of purchasing a H&R Handirifle in this caliber. I have lots of brass, bullets, etc left over from a 12inch 45/70 contender barrel. Bad idea if anyone is considering it. Anyway, how strong is the H&R action? I did fine with the contender using the middle ground loads, I think for the leverguns in my contender. I am wondering which of the 3 common sets of 45/70 data I should use? Several of my manuals list data for the trapdoor, modern leverguns, and rifles like the Ruger #1. What do you guys think?

Gimme Back My Bullets!!!!
The Paterfamilias of Modern Squirrel Hunting

QSMA President and Squirrel World Record Holder. 1.96 B&S

NRA Life Member/Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
Start with the trapdoor and work you way up slowly. I seem to recall a few stories of the HR poping open when heavy 45-70 loads were used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use the ruger #1 or 3 loads.Stay with the marlin 1895 loads.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
The new frames are strong and will do well with lever loads. Older frames and shotgun frames probably should not be put through it, though; trapdoor for them.

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since they don't have any elephants in Mississippi you don't need anything more than the factory 300s or equivalent. Winchester had a 300 @ 1850 load 100 years ago and they still have it now !!! This works fine on deer and black bear .I'm using the Win Partition load now ,but any of the 300s will do. This load will be easy on the gun and you.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
A lot of the trap door loads are very weak and some Marlin loads may be pushing it so I try to go with loads in the 28-30,00 cpu class, recomended for strong but older win and marlin levers. Plenty of power.

As far as the handy rifle opening on firing, well I've seen it with a modern gun in 223 rem so I think that is a factory flaw some may have that needs fixed.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is interesting, but quite a few people I hunt with were not happy with the 45/70 and factory 300 gr loads. Several times a deer was shot 2-4 times before giving up. I will most likely use a premium bullet in the 300gr range. Or one of my cast wheelweight 405s. I, like most of you guys, just want to see how fast I can push em to begin with. Usually, I tone everything down and work on accuracy for my actual hunting loads. So, I gather from the info above, the H&R action is not what I am used to from the Contender and shouldnt be expected to handle the high-middle loads safely.
Any other comments? I am really interested.

Posts: 82 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bullie:
Here in Mississippi it is legal to use certain 45/70s during the primitive weapon season. I thinking of purchasing a H&R Handirifle in this caliber. I have lots of brass, bullets, etc left over from a 12inch 45/70 contender barrel. Bad idea if anyone is considering it. Anyway, how strong is the H&R action? I did fine with the contender using the middle ground loads, I think for the leverguns in my contender. I am wondering which of the 3 common sets of 45/70 data I should use? Several of my manuals list data for the trapdoor, modern leverguns, and rifles like the Ruger #1. What do you guys think?

If all you are shooting is whitetail deer or black bear up to 100 yards, any ./457" bullet between 400 and 500 grains, loaded to 1300 FPS MV will give one-shot kills.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the H&R at Sportman's Warehouse. Now I just need a scope and mounts and rings and a sling......and... Any suggestions for loads or a good bullet?

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Bullie i have a handi in 45/70 with a 22" i also once had the 32" barrel fitted to an ultra hunter . You can use some pretty heavy loads in the handi rifle . But as a rule and i got this from NEF themselves any ammunition for the marlin lever actions is fine for any handi rifle. I reload for the handi using marlin lkever action data. Good luck Tanoose (give NEF acal;l they will be harrp to answer any of your questions)

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Thats the info I needed.