Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot in an AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
Awhile ago there was a post here from an individual who was loading Blue Dot powder in .223. Seems like a real economical way to go but I can't find the old post and don't know if he was using that powder in an AR. I just acquired my first AR (my Obama gun) and I'm looking for some load data with Blue Dot that will work in an AR. These will be strickly target loads.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2319 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot will shoot fine in your AR but it won't cycle the action. Not even close.

IIRC, I used 11 or 12 grains with nearly any bullet 40 - 60 grains in weight in bolt action rifles. You could use such a load in your AR safely if you're happy running the action by hand.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check seafire's posts on blue dot - he's done quite a bit of testing with it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I looked up Seafire's post and it seems that Blue Dot works fine is bolt actions but not in an AR if you want it to function as a semi. I was hoping it would cycle the action but had my doubts which have now been confirmed. Might load up a few anyway just to see how they shoot.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2319 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote