Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Dillon XL650 owners ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
A few days ago I retired my Hornady Pro-7 progressive press, after 24 years of intensive service. Its successor entered my home the following day, a Dillon XL650 with electric case feeder and caliber conversions in .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .44 Mag and 9 Para. I'm now playing with the "big blue" to familiarize. I've a question and can't find the answer in the manual. I have no doubt help is to be found on our esteemed forum. Let's have a go :

Q : when the primer magazine of the press is freshly filled, it seems to take 7 (?) strokes of the lever before the 1st. primer is ready to be seated in station 2. How do you proceed in order to avoid unprimed cases being powder charged ? I would also expect the 1st. primer to meet the 1st. resized case.
Should I "dry" pump a number of times to advance primers before switching on the case feeder ?

Many thanks in advance for counseling.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very simple. You pull the operating handle toward you a little and hold it in that position. You need to do this so the primer indexer, next step, will advance. Next with your left thumb, move the primer indexing arm about 5 times toward the primer tube. This will index the primers so that you will not load a round without a primer.

To be safe what I do is keep pressing the indexing arm until you see a primer appear in the little shoot below the tube. You will then see a few more drop in during loading, but there will be only a few.

Gary

Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin' - John Wayne, True Grit

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Gary, I explored your way and it suits me better than dry cycling. Now, I turn on the case feeder, fill the primer magazine, lift the platform half-way, give the primer indexing arm 6 clicks forward, finish the up/down movement of the lever and voilà, the 1st. primer shows up in station 2 on the down travel, awaiting the sized/deprimed case coming from station 1. Strange they don't mention the point in the manual.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet that if you point out that omission to Dillon via telephone call, letter or Emial that within a few weeks every Dillon 650 owner will receive a supplement sheet for their 650 if not a completely updated manual.

Dillion is more serious about support than Tigers are about eating red meat.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 7.62Rebel
posted Hide Post
What Allen said...I called Dillon after buying a used 550 from a fellow competitor.Told them I was having problem withlg primers.He asked if all the parts were silver or black.I told him silver,he said allwere updated to black with a coating on them...I stressed this was aused(min 100K rds)he said -"It's a Dillon"...3 days later ALL p new parts were in my mailbox-with a NO CHARGE sticker.....Imagine if all US manufacturers stood behind their products--no importsSmiler

Go Galt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dillon rediscovered what manufacturers have forgotten -that good customer service = word of mouth advertising. That it is cheaper and better than advertising like Chevrolet does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7.62Rebel:
...Imagine if all US manufacturers stood behind their products--no importsSmiler

Why is it that most people understand that optional extended warranties are just profit-generating insurance policies, but somehow assume that it is great customer service when it is not optional, but included up front in the inflated purchase price?

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJakeJ1s:
quote:
Originally posted by 7.62Rebel:
...Imagine if all US manufacturers stood behind their products--no importsSmiler

Why is it that most people understand that optional extended warranties are just profit-generating insurance policies, but somehow assume that it is great customer service when it is not optional, but included up front in the inflated purchase price?

Andy

People understand it. The difference is the companies that have the great customer service frontloaded so to speak actually follow through with ...... great customer service.

"Extended warranties" are different in that there are enough loopholes in the fine print that few problems are ever truly resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Furthermore I have never heard of a transferable lifetime extended warrantee that was purchased in addition to the item.

Big difference.

And poor try to dump on Dillon.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
inflated purchase price??
you must be kidding me.
yeah they cost money, so does a st.croix fishing pole.
i wish i could buy a truk/omputer/refrigerator/t.v. set/bed..etc.. for 300 buks that'd last the rest of my kids life,or it'd be repaired for free.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote