Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading Press..
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted
ISO a large frame press in order to load .470 NE brass. I can't do it on the RCBS RockChucker or the Lyman All American I have in use. There isn't enough window space to do the larger calibers. Suggestions please. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Rock Chucker, the Supreme is wide enough. That is what I use for the .470 and .500 nitro expresses. I have a friend who uses the Lyman Orange Crusher, it works too. Hope this helps.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lee Classic Cast or the Redding Ultra Mag would be my choices for something that long.

Andy

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesYou might check with Hollywood Engineering, Joe Mueller, tele:818-842-8376, E-Mail cadqueennell@aol.com. My hollywood Senior has been going sinc early "57" and is stout enough and tall enough. May be a little pricy?? fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Corbin press. It may do what you need.

Don

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Ammomaster and find it works great.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load the .416 Rigby and the .470 NE on a standard Rock Chucker with no difficulty. Start the round into the die slightly, tilt the head of the cartridge toward you, bring the head down and arc it into the shell holder. When it's straight, you're ready to do the loading operation.

Being an old retired guy I did not feel it was worth buying yet another press to avoid this little operation.

The Corbin press, on the other hand, does have enough room in the window to load without this manipulation of the round.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can load .470NE and 500NE on my Dillon 550
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
The Redding Ultra Mag would be OK. Cost efficient to.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
I can load .470NE and 500NE on my Dillon 550
Bill

Bill: What shell holder disk are you using in the dillon. I tried to find one for the .470 NE on their site and none listed. Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a cross reference chart you can down load it saves buying a bunch of caliber conversion kits.
SHELLPLATE B, LOCATER BUTTON 4, POWDER FUNNEL T-#13407
I don’t use the powder measure station except when I need to slightly bell the mouth of tight cases with the powder funnel. I weigh each charge with my Pact powder dispenser and scale. I end up in reality using my press like a multi station rather than a progressive for the big bores.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem when I started loading for the bigger African rounds. I bought a RCBS Ammo Master. It is designed for 50BMG so will handle anything. The new RC supreme also has a taller window now & is quite a bit cheaper. I would probably go that way today. Sell your old one & the price of the new one will barely dnet your piggy bank. Wink

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have a cross reference chart you can down load it saves buying a bunch of caliber conversion kits.
SHELLPLATE B, LOCATER BUTTON 4, POWDER FUNNEL T-#13407
I don’t use the powder measure station except when I need to slightly bell the mouth of tight cases with the powder funnel. I weigh each charge with my Pact powder dispenser and scale. I end up in reality using my press like a multi station rather than a progressive for the big bores.
Bill

Bill:Thanks for the info. I will call dillon in the morning and order out the parts you suggested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The referance chart is in the back of the 550 manual. If you alreadey load for 458 or 375 you have the plate and butons.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
-Mark Twain
~Will Rogers~

one of us
posted Hide Post
Might want to check up one of their press.
http://www.ch4d.com/

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
quote:
The referance chart is in the back of the 550 manual. If you alreadey load for 458 or 375 you have the plate and butons.
Bill

Bill: Ordered the shell plate and other partsw from dillon shipping tomorrow. Thanks again..