New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 55 Powder Thrower
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reload for target shooting off the bench. I normally set the Lyman (as best I can) to throw 0.1grns under and top up with a trickler; all done at home.
I want to load at the range and was hoping I would not have to check weigh each throw. Too much time on my hands so I thought I'd conduct an experiment. I weighed 20 throws of each of the ADI powders I use. I then took the lowest weight from the highest weight which would give me the extreme spread?. The results are as follows:

AR2209 - 0.50grns
AR2208 - 0.40grns
AR2206H - 0.30grns
BM2 - 1.20grns
AR2219 - 0.40grns

Do the results suggest the thrower isn't consistent? I load the thrower to about half the length of the reservoir and bring the handle down and raise it again as consistantly as possible. I also noticed, during the test, I was cutting powder granules on the down stroke more often than not. Would appreciate any comments.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
stick powders and most powder throwers do not go togeather very well.
set under and trickle up is as good as I could ever do, to stay consistent.
the lymann # 55 as i remember was made to load black powder.
there are some powder throwers on the market that claim consistent throws but I have never used any.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to shoot competetively? Or, just informal shooting?
A 0.50 grain spread will be fine for informal shooting, and 95% of the competitive shooters would accept that ES too. Not many real anal shooters around who demand an ES approximating zero. I shot competetively in the early 1970's and used a Lyman 55 with a Culver insert. I don't think the Culver Insert made the measure more accurate. However, with the Culver insert you could dial any powder charge you wanted in seconds, not minutes using the two slide affair of the Lyman insert, where you must use a scale to confirm the setting. What I'm suggesting is all of us shooting centerfire benchrest in the early 1970's accpeted the ES as delivered by the Lyman 55's. Most of the competitores used the same Lyman 55. Homer Culver insert, and we all shot good groups.
I have several old Lyman 55's that I have reconditioned, and set for one load, so I don't have to go through the effort of setting the two slides to get the powder charge as I want it.
Lyman makes the Model 55 in two configurations; one for both black powder and one for smokeless powder. The original Model 55 was designed for smokeless powder, IIRC. Might be wrong here.
I think the bottom line here is use the Lyman accepting the ES as it won't affect groups at all.

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
I use the Lyman 55 and it is pretty accurate with stick powder and alot more accurate than a few other brands i've tried. Alot of it has to do with how consistantly you throw the charge. My Lyman 55 has 3 slides. It is usually within 2 tenths of a grain.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Lyman 55 can be very accurate if operated properly, ie the same way each time.

There are some powder measures that Bench Rest shooters use, that might be more accurate.

I use a lot of IMR 3031. I did not notice any accuracy problems with throwen powder charges until 800 and 1000 yards.

35 fps difference between rounds can make a difference at long distance.

For normal hunting loads I have never seen a problem with thrown charges.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Are you going to shoot competetively? Or, just informal shooting?

Gidday DMB,

Thanks for your reply.
I plan to shoot informal benchrest and maybe have a go an an informal competition held once a month at the range I attend.
I believe I have the Lyman for smokeless powders.
After placing the post I went back to the test results and looked at the extreme spread over 5 throws at a time rather than the whole 20. Interestingly enough the ES for all powders, except one, tested was mostly 0.2 or 0.3 (once again, over 5 throws not 20).

T think I could live with 0.2 or 0.3 for my shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icemanls2:
I use the Lyman 55 and it is pretty accurate with stick powder and alot more accurate than a few other brands i've tried. Alot of it has to do with how consistantly you throw the charge. My Lyman 55 has 3 slides. It is usually within 2 tenths of a grain.

Thanks for reply icemanls2,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
A Lyman 55 can be very accurate if operated properly, ie the same way each time.

There are some powder measures that Bench Rest shooters use, that might be more accurate.

I use a lot of IMR 3031. I did not notice any accuracy problems with throwen powder charges until 800 and 1000 yards.

35 fps difference between rounds can make a difference at long distance.

For normal hunting loads I have never seen a problem with thrown charges.

Thanks for the reply N E 450 No2,

Yes, there appears to be a preference for one particular brand of thrower used by the competitive benchresters at the range I go to and it has been suggested to me that they are not as "super" accuate as I was led to believe.
What you say about 35fps making a difference at long distance makes sense and conversely co-incides with what somebody else has told me. That is, over the 100 and 200 yds I shoot, "It ain't going to make that much of a difference".

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I use the Lyman 55 even with some of the courser powders but usually try not to use the smaller slides. Leave them at zero and set the charge with the main barrel(all three slides together). Takes a bit longer to get to the charge weight I want but seems to be more consistent when throwing charges and lessens cutting of the powder.

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hivelosity:
stick powders and most powder throwers do not go togeather very well.
set under and trickle up is as good as I could ever do, to stay consistent.
the lymann # 55 as i remember was made to load black powder.
there are some powder throwers on the market that claim consistent throws but I have never used any.
Dave

Thanks for your reply hivelosity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
I use the Lyman 55 even with some of the courser powders but usually try not to use the smaller slides. Leave them at zero and set the charge with the main barrel(all three slides together). Takes a bit longer to get to the charge weight I want but seems to be more consistent when throwing charges and lessens cutting of the powder.

I'll try using the main barrel and see what happens. Thanks for your input eagle 27

one of us
posted Hide Post
steyrl

Let me add that with my Lyman 55 thrown powder charges, I once shot in a Sniper Match, and I was the only one to make four head shots at 400 yards...

The rifle was a Steyr SSG 69 with a Kahles ZFM 69 6X scope... With a Picket post Reticle.

In that same Competition I also won the smallest group at 100 yards...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Steryl I am with Eagle on this also, I try to use just the big slide as much and found out I get more consistent metering. I also found that my manual scale works better at range if it is breezy tho I my build an enclosure for my electronic. I know you will get it dialed in. Best Steve

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the lyman WITH the baffle and a 4 in Possum drop tube. The drop tube really solves any bridging problems. Play with the baffle until you get the height right (mine was NOT best at the bottom). I used to use a culver when I was bench shooting. I carried no scales back then because the loads were already known and it was all "clicks" from the base depending on temp humidity and performance on any given day.
I am happy with my Lyman as currently configured.

rc

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote