New
Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 Nitro shell holder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ruger #1 in 450/400 Nitro, but I need a shell holder for my Lee Auto-prime so I can install the primers into the cases...what number shell holder do I need or is there some other way/brand to use? The one I use for my 500 Linebaugh is a bit too small.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you prime on your press?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a single stage rockchucker set up now and never did it that way, but I do have a new hornady loknload progressive but it is still in the box yet...did not get around to setting it up yet. I always used the hand prime method because I like the feel of setting the primers...but it looks as though that might have to change. Thanks for the reply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I have a Ruger #1 in 450/400 Nitro, but I need a shell holder for my Lee Auto-prime so I can install the primers into the cases...what number shell holder do I need or is there some other way/brand to use? The one I use for my 500 Linebaugh is a bit too small.

Not sure about the Lee but the RCBS & Hornady versions of the same sort of thing use standard reloading press shell holders from what I've read. I used a 45/70 shell holder for a 416 Rigby years ago, before they were fashionable but had to open out the top of the Lee Priming tool. Have you a manual that gives you rim sizes etc that you could look thru & see if there is a matching cartridge size that Lee does a holder for, or alternatively, if you wish to use the Lee tool, get a standard shell holder spun down to Lee diameter & the mushroom off the bottom removed, also the hole in the middle opened up to the same as the Lee holders. Thinking about it this was how I got a "Lee" 45/70 shell holder, one of the fitters at work did it in the lathe with a carbide lathe tool.This may be your best way to go with a std shell holder for your 450/400.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shinzo, I believe the machined down standard RCBS shellholder to fit the Lee that you mentioned is the way to go. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Shinzo, I believe the machined down standard RCBS shellholder to fit the Lee that you mentioned is the way to go. Thanks.

Woodrow, it was a Lee Prime holder for a 7.62 x 39 that I had machined from a standard press shell holder, also Lee so the outer diameter was the same, just had to machine off the mushroom ( I'm sure its actually called something else) & open up the centre hole. With another brand you may also have to reduce the diameter a a little but having measured my Lee #8, which was for the .348 Win, .45/70 & .416 Rigby , the rim recess is 15.4mm & your 450/400 should be about 15.9mm so there should be enough meat in these holders. I had also to open up the shoulders in the Lee priming tool that locate the holder a little with a dremel tool, so the Rigby base would clear but I think you will be OK for this, if not its no big job.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through the same different attempts and settled on the RCBS handheld primer for speed and ease. Also cost a bunch less than trying to mill down a standard shell holder.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, your idea is sounding very good right now. Its a pain trying to cross reference the different shell holders and then trying to find them. I think I will spend the 35 bucks for the RCBS handheld version and save myself the aggravation. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Your RCBS press will work fine for priming cases. RCBS supplied shellholders directly for all my British cartridges, including the .450 Nitro, which also works for the .450/.400...or did for mine. These days you might have to ask their neighbor, Huntington Die Specialties for them, but RCBS Customer Service will usually do that too for you, if you ask.

If you take a look at the construction of the primer seating assembly on the RCBS, you will also see that it takes very little work on a lathe, even a little toy-like Unimat, to make the cup and pin assembly to fit the larger Berdan primers as well.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote