New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 straight wall to 404 J?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have bought some 404 straight wall and am trying to make it into 404 Jeffrey. I am losing about 50% on the conversion. I am lubing with imperial wax inside and out. I am resising about a third of the way,Rotating the case and relubing and doing another 3rd. Then, relubing, rotating, and then doing the final third. I am irritated at losing this much of the crop of nearly a buck a pop brass. Any suggestions? Thanks

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using WD40 as your case lube, making sure to get the inside of the case neck lubed as well.

And, I would continue doing what you are doing: go part way into the die, back out, and then rotate the case a bit before preceding.

I have had success using that technique for other cartridges.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose we would need to know what sort of failure you are having. What and where is going south along the way?

Ross Seyfried says to anneal before necking up and after necking down.

Is this brass already too soft?

It's not Bertram brass is it?

You're going to end up better off buying Norma stuff to start with if you can't sort this out. bawling

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell me the rest of your stash of straight walled at a deflated rate so I can make some 450 Vincents!!

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To take a guess, I'll bet he got it from Mast.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedCan you descibe the faiure mood. I use this case on a couple of my wildcats and haven't had much of a problem. I use these cases on my .358X.404 and my cut down 8mmx.404X2.5". I'm really working the brass much harder than you on the later. I use bell and Norma. Good results so far with each.My E-Mail address is listed on this forum if you want to communicate.With E-Mail I can send you fotos of these cartridges. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It fails to my way of thinking in two ways. It wrinkles in the neck area on some and the neck opening splits on some. Little tiny wrinkles I think are maybe going to sort themselves out but some are big nasty looking wrinkles. No name or label on the brass. I got it from another poster on this forum. Could be Mast or Bertram. It is not Norma.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote