New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me identify a primer!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
small rifle primer non-magnum. nickle plated.explosive element is yellow. there is purple paint on the 3 leaf clover thing on the inside. Its not cci. its not remington. Probably winchester or federal but which one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
federal, i think, but i am at work right at the moment and have no way of checking for sure.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
What you describe sounds like a Federal 205, the anvil (the 3 leaf thingy) on a Federal 200 is red, I don’t own any other nickel plated small primers. I really don’t know what you have. How many of these primers do you own?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im just trying to identify the primer on my pet load. forgot to write it down

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That may or may not be the "explosive element" you see as yellow.

there is often a thin sheet of plastic between the anvil and the explosive element

Some even manage to put a layer of laquer over the element before or after installing the anvil

FWIW, both Remington and CCI appear yellow, but the purple anvil is a new one on me.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find any primers I have with paint on the anvil. Green, yellow and orange primer compounds or sealers but all anvils are just brass.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is Federal GM-215 M, Mag. match primer. The ones I have, have a purple coloring in the cup. My Federal GM-210 M match primers have a red coloring in the primer cup.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal tasunkawitko pegged it . thumb

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote