New
Find
Notify
Tools

.307 resized to .308?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey .308 loaders, two questions. 1. Can .307 brass be resized for .308 win loading? and 2. what manufacturer(s) makes the most consistent brass and what should I expect to pay for it.(once fired type stuff)

Thanks, Barry

Posts: 52 | Location: Midwester | Registered: 14 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
307W is a rimmed case the 308 is not. Confused

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Correct, except for their rim or groove, both cases are absolutely identical. The only difference between respectively chambered rifles lies in the bolt face opening (= larger for rim) and, notwithstanding their different operating pressure level (!!!), a .308 Win will fire in a .307 Win rifle (not the other way around because of bolt face/rim dimensions). To handload a .307 Win, you need .308 Win dies + a .30-30 shellholder.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A .308 Win will fire in a .307 Win rifle (not the other way around because of bolt face/rim dimensions)

In France to remain legal with a "military calibre" it was once popular to re-barrel 303 Pattern '14 rifles with a 308 barrel but keep the 303 bolt.

So giving a rifle in non-military 307 calibre! Which of course would also then chamber and fire 308!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, Belgium had a ban on military calibers too. Then it was very common to open up the bolt face of a (forbidden) .308 Win to accept the rim of a .307 Win. The bbl. was then proofed and marked as a .307 Win, thus becoming legal to own. Of course, as .307 Win brass was less easy to obtain than .308, some people (illegally) shot .308 ammo in it.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
So a bolt opened up to take a 307 rim will extract a 308 case? Confused

As to once fired 308 I prefer Lake City (military)
Runs around $13-15/100 as picked up to $25/100 processed ready to load

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=150473209

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=149947048

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Some rifles/extractors are more finicky than others. It also helps not to open up the boltface more than just enough to accept the .307 rim AND still eject .308 cases. Springy extractors seem to help too.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I didn't realize there was another centerfire other than a 30-30 that had a rim. I guess I won't be grinding the rims off any 307's any time soon.
I'll be looking for the Lake City brass then, it sounds like a more consistent brass and a good price as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarryG:
I'll be looking for the Lake City brass then. It sounds like a more consistent brass and a good price as well.

It's also tough as can be. Use an excellent sizing lube and a strong press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS press but I haven't been able to find the old style lube I was used to rolling the brass in on the foam pad. Is there another recommended lube? I use some 'ONE SHOT' spray from Hornady now.

Barry

quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
Originally posted by BarryG:
I'll be looking for the Lake City brass then. It sounds like a more consistent brass and a good price as well.

It's also tough as can be. Use an excellent sizing lube and a strong press.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Hornady's Unique Case Lube. Comes in a small plastic tube and is like a wax rather than a liquid. I apply it with finger tips so no pad is needed. Easy to use and much easier to clean off than the old RCBS lube I used with a pad.

Imperial makes a similar product. Several other products out there that work well.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try caster oil, Barry, it works like the old stuff. Go to the pharmacy, buy some caster oil. It'll lube you up. cheap works good best-o-luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
STP works good. None of the spray on crap works IMO.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote