New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Vihta Vuori VS Reloder/IMR/Hod powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DUK, The not very conservative reloading data over here only applies to their first manual. I have a 338 Lapua that I loaded with Lapua Bullets and VV N-165 and safely worked up to thier max load in Manual #1. It shot great i.e. 3/4" at 300yds in my TRG-42. Later manuals now list the max load for the same bullet and powder about 5 grains less! Our American lawyers can ruin just about anything..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is where I have gotten my VV powder from for the last few years:
http://www.eabco.com/VVuori02.html
They also have good prices on Lapua bullets and brass.

Like dj I have used VV N-140 in the .308, and N-133 is my go to powder for the 6PPC.

The only powder I use for 9mm 115 grain and 45 ACP 230 grain jacketed loads is VV N-340. It is accurate, consistent, and clean burning.

Their biggest advertised claim to fame is that their canister grade powders are very consistent lot to lot. In my limited experience those claims are valid.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I've ever used in my 3 years of reloading experience to develop loads is VihtaVuori powder, mainly for .50Cal BMG rounds (VV 20N29), which is very respectable among 50 Cal. BMG match competitors. I've also used their N150, N165, N170 for magnum rifle calibers and the N110 for magnum handguns. They're almost always available at Cliff's (Santa Ana/Westminster, So. Cal) otherwise they're usually available at Bruno Shooters, Lockstock and Barrel, Midsouthshooters, or Natchez over the Internet (which makes them expensive with hazmat shipping).

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is the Vihta Vuori powder line not very popular to big bore owners/hunters, at least here in AR forums?

How do VV powders compare to Reloader 15, 19, 22 and IMR/Hod 4320, 4895, 4350, 4831. VV has conterparts in their N140, N150, N160/165 powders.

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The VV powders can be a little hard to get sometimes and can be a good bit more expensive. N-140 however is very popular in target shooting circles as is N-133 for PPC's. The 500 series is also gaining a following. I think they are becoming a little more popular but with so many powders now offered it may be tough to gain a large market share. Personally I think all the variety and competition is greatness!........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I saw in a post where you stated the Norma powders are back, could you tell me who is selling it now?

Thank you,

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say it depends on availability and price. Around here, they cost the same or a little less than the US powders, have an excellent image regarding quality and every dealer stocks them. I do not have exact data but my impression is that in germany they are market leader in Germany.

Personally, I like their quality, cleanliness and not very conservative data (with the exeption of thje 6 mm Rem).

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I'm afraid to start using them for fear of being able to develop some real good loads, then have the stuff disappear from the market, like has happened with Norma powders a couple of times! I had some real good Norma loads, then we couldn't get it any more. Now it's back, but I choose to stick with Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant stuff. I realize this is no guarantee against a powder disappearing either, but think it is more likely that these brands will be around longer....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Vihtavuori N-165 for my "go to" loads in my .270WSM with Nosler's 140 gr Accubond. Very accurate and consistent. I think one of the reasons more people don't use it is because you rarely see it in the reloading manuals. And Vihtvuori's own data uses a bizarre choice of bullets, at least for the .270WSM and N-165. They show a 90 gr Sierra HP, a 140 gr Barnes X and a 160 gr Nosler partition? NONE of which I would ever consider loading in my .270WSM. How about a Hornady SST, or a Nosler Ballistic Tip, or hey! How about a 130 grain bullet? I know these guys are Finns, but try a little market research and try providing some mainstream data. If they want to succeed in the US market, a little more marketing effort would help. They do make great powders, though, and I will continue to buy the N-165 for as long as it is available. It is hard for me to fight my natural cheap nature when Natchez keeps offering that accurate 4350 for just $79.95 for the 8 lb keg, while Sportsman's Warehouse is charging me $43.95 for a two pound container of Vihtavuori N-165 (plus 8.3% sales tax!!) Even with shipping and hazmat charges, I can still get the 4350 for around $13 per pound. It works great in the .270wsm with 130 gr bulets, am afraid to try it with the Accubond 140, since if it works great, I would have to order an 8 lb keg.....

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote