Find
Notify
Tools

One step closer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
I jsut scored a set of 22-243 middlestead dies for 55.00. the last quote i got for them was about 119.00 from midway. That puts me that much closer to finally getting this rig out and doing some shooting. I have a few questions about preparing brass. I plan on using once fired Fed 243 brass as i have a good supply of it. I am wondering if i will need to turn the necks after sizing? I do not know what the neck size is. How do i measure it? what i was thinking of doing is making a dummy round loaded short so that the bullet is not touching the lands and see if it fits in the chamber. If it does not I will turn the neck down slightly and try again until it fits. If anyone knows of a better/easier way please let me know. I have already asked the gunsmith that built it but he got rid of the reamer shortly after he built the rifle a couple years ago.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Smarter people than I will hopefully respond but a quick rule of thumb is that if you take a once fired round and you can easily slip a bullet into it after firing then the neck area should be plenty roomy. I realize the variable might be that some of your brass might have slightly thicker necks after sizing them down and what if your "test firing" just happened to be one of the brass that doesn't have the thicker necks?? This probably isn't the golden answer you wanted but I think you could take some measurements in the neck area before firing and after and that could tell you the story.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Easiest way if you can't measure the reamer is to have a chamber cast made - or make one yourself. Apparently, it is not that difficult (??), but others will provide better advise here.

The chamber cast will at least allow you to measure the neck diameter of your chamber. Now neck down a case, seat a bullet and measure the "loaded" round. Is there sufficient tolerance for the neck to let go of the bullet?? (others will tell you what sufficient tolerance is, I won't stick out my neck here). If yes, you are good to go, otherwise you are in for some neck turning.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote