Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OAL - bullet touching lands
 Login/Join

posted
I just started reloading for a new 25-06. Most manuals I have list an C.O.L. of 3.100, but searching around I found that most people were loading quite a bit longer, as much as 3.250. At this length, the bullet actaully touches the lands when I chamber it. I have heard somewhere that the bullet should not touch the lands for ultimate accuracy. Is this the case?

Thanks,
Jason

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Every gun varies some like the bullet seated into the rifling others need to back off a few thousands. Nosler reloading manual has directions on how to find the OAL for your rifle bullet combo. There method can be used as a starting point.

You will have to experiment, load 5 or more touching the rifling then back off a few thousands and load another 5 or more repeat this process. Try for groups and you will find a sweet spot that your rifle likes with a particular bullet. Write down each group size powder charge and bullet weight and OAL. When you have found the best distance bullet combo then start adjusting the powder charge. Start with a minimum powder charge then work up 3 to 5 grain increments to near max for each powder you wish to shoot. Somewhere in the process you will find the right combo that your gun groups the best with. Keep in mind what shoots the best on paper may not be the best for hunting. Check with the bullet manufactures for proper bullet target/game choice.

There have been several posts on the same question your are asking. If you do a search you can find a lot of helpful information the viewers of this Forum have left.

Best of luck and good shooting.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, you must realize that measuring the COL using the tip of the bullet is useless when measuring where the bullet is relating to the lands. If you measure several bullets, you will find variance in them. The precise measurement is made off the ogive of the bullet using a comparator, like Stoney Point or Sinclair. COL does apply when feeding from a magazine though, you can't stuff a long round in a short magazine.

As an average, most guns will group better either close to the lands or into the lands some. This reduces or eliminates any bullet jump from the case to where the bullets enters the rifling. And if it is touching the lands, it greatly helps in maintaining the cartridge alignment in the chamber, since factory chambers tend to big on the big size.

If your going to load singly, get the bullet up against the lands and give it a go. Make sure however you do have the bullet seated into the case enough. Some chambers are throated quite long!