New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I mess up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here’s my question for the group – My first attempt (last night) at reloading was with .223’s using 25 grains of IMR 4064, Winchester brass and Hornady 55 grain SP/SX bullets. My question/problem is – when I went back to review my work I realized I had used information from both my Hornady and Speer manuals. Basically, I used Speers recommended powder (the 4064) under the Hornady recommended bullet. Now, both manuals agree on the amount of powder to use and both agree on the weight of the projectile but, they don’t specifically agree on the combination I used. Should I pull the bullets and start over or am I going to be o-okay with what I’ve done.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Vlad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I shouldn't make a difference since the bullet weights are the same. Most recent manuals are pretty conservative with their max loads anyhow.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
If it helps make you feel any better, I found the following to be the useful loading range:
IMR-4064 From 23.0 grains to 26.5 grains
Remington 7-1/2 Primer

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerSteve has the best loads using IMR 4064 for the .223. The best thing I see out of this is the wisdom you used to ask someone about it even when you think it may be a silly question. There are some great people out there who really love to help and give the right info to new reloaders. I have asked a bunch myself and have found good help. Remember the only stupid question, asked in ernest that is, is the one not asked! Big Grin

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, but now Steve may have him worring about
him using a different primer.
Don't worry about it mate, you'll be lucky to notice any difference even with Magnum primers.
The brand of case probably makes the most difference, in my experence, but usually not enough to worry about.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
The 'conventional wisdom' is that bullets of the same weight AND construction style are generally interchangable.

In other words, lead core jacketed bullets can be interchanged, but don't use a Barnes X/failsafe/solid with lead core data. The solid copper bullets are harder to start down the barrel, and it is enough of a change to be important.

It that a max load per your 2 manuals? I think it is, but I am working from memory...and be careful with Steve's data, much of it exceeds book loads. Yes book loads tend to be conservative, and I have used Steve's data in the past (thanks Steve), but it should be used with care (sorry Steve). My tolerance of risk is higher than average, but not much.

If I am right about the max load thing, the most critical error I see in what you did is to start with a max or near max load...start several grains below max, work up looking for accuracy, stop at max and review your results.

Welcome to the addiction!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just check your seating depth as some Hornadys have the old Spire Point shoulder on the bullets body and they will engage the lands earlier.

So use the seating depth from the Hornady manual if it has them listed.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be just fine. I use a Speer maual and have never loaded Speer bullets. Jsut stay within the powder charge limits and enjoy.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.