New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think of.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
using pistol/shotgun powders for moderate velcoity loads in rifle cases. For years Lyman published lots of data using such powders. The 48th Edition manual doesn't show 'em. What with all the recent talk of detonation, blowin' up 223's with Blue Dot and secondary pressure spikes, I'm just curious to what folks think of the practice. I use 'em, have for years, never had a moments trouble, I like the results I get, easy on the shoulder and the pocketbook, I've even killed a deer with such a load from my 45-70. So, do ya, have ya or wouldn't touch the stuff.....What say ye?????

Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I say such powders can be excellent choices if you're using cast bullets and wish to limit velocity to 1,700fps or less (e.g., in the .45-70). However, one has to carefully choose both the powder, e.g, B. Dot, Unique, 2400 or milsurp WC 820 (a cross bet. AA #9 & H110) and the amount (charge wt.) used. Moreover, be alert to the possibility of double charging a case. Having said that, let me also say that I now use WC 820 for almost all of my cast bullet loads in cases as samll as the .243Win. up to and including the .45-70. Btw, both C.E. Harris and the late Frank Marshall, Jr. (Cast Bullet Assoc.) have advocated this for years. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem for me. I use 2400 for lite (300 gr.) bullets in my 45-70 Guide gun (18 barrel) as even RL7 left a lot of unburned powder.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnypaul:
using pistol/shotgun powders for moderate velcoity loads in rifle cases. For years Lyman published lots of data using such powders. The 48th Edition manual doesn't show 'em. What with all the recent talk of detonation, blowin' up 223's with Blue Dot and secondary pressure spikes, I'm just curious to what folks think of the practice. I use 'em, have for years, never had a moments trouble, I like the results I get, easy on the shoulder and the pocketbook, I've even killed a deer with such a load from my 45-70. So, do ya, have ya or wouldn't touch the stuff.....What say ye?????

My experience with cast bullet loads has GENERALLY (NOT ALWAYS!!) been that reduced, but nearly full-charge, loads of slower powders in rifle cases gives better accuracy than small charges of fast powders. The slower powders accelerate the bullet more gradually, preserving the shape of soft projectiles, PLUS they take up enough space in the case that ignition is more uniform than when the charge wanders around. I hate having to aim at the moon first to settel a little charge back against the flash hole before firing each shot!

I also note that over the years, more and more "standard rifle powders/charges" have creeped into Lyman cast-bullet data, vice the older, "Unique, etc." loads!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote