New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight fitting .338-06 cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got my rifle back after sending it off to be rebarreled. Now I'm starting to work on some reloads for it an ran into some problems.
To start, I'm using once fired, Federal 30-06 brass. This is the brass left from the original barrel and full lenght resized in a set of Lee .338-06 dies. The rounds chamber, but the bolt is pretty tight on closing and opening. Is this normal? More importantly, is this safe? I have never run into this before.
Before I had the new barrel installed, I called E.R. Shaw and asked what dimensions they use when chambering for the .338-06 and they said that the use the SAAMI specs. I asked Lee the same question about their dies, and got the same answer. I just assumed that the resized cases would chamber like any other cases I've reloaded.
I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
Andrew

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have you tried full-length sized cases, but not loaded with a bullet? If these cases work, your problem is probably bullet seating depth. Increasing seating depth will take care of that problem.

A new chamber reamer of SAAMI spec will cut a large chamber. If the reamer used on your .338-06 was used, i.e. near the end of its service life, your chamber then could be tight. Both would be considered SAAMI spec, but your cases fired in the 06 barrel would be bigger than those in the .338-06 barrel. The same problem can occur with reamers used in making sizing dies.

Other problems that could occur are case length too long, or loading press "spring" (corrected by raising the ram, screwing the sizing die down til it touches the shellholder, lowering the ram, screwing the sizing die down another 1/8 to 1/4 turn).
Good Luck

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prof 242 Has ALL the right info. If it still is hard to chamber after that, then it is a tight chamber. But a local gunsmith should be able to take care of that for you by reaming it out a little more, for a reasonable price.

Nice pick of caliber. One I am very partial too, the 338/06.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.
Andrew

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy:

Where did you order those Lee Dies in 338/06? and also does it have a neck sizer die with it??

I love Lee's products. I have RCBS, and Lee together in a lot of Calibers. However, my 338/06 is a Redding Die Set.

I find some have features better than others at certain times, so that is why I have several sets in a lot of calibers. Also if I screw up one and it has to go in for repair, then I am not dead in the water.

Let us know how that turns out.
Cheers and Good shooting
Seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Lee dies for my 338.06 and have had no trouble chambering.They are a two die set only.I like their expander,worked very well on once fired Federals and Winchesters.To use 338WinMag factory crimp I put a shim under the case in my shellholder.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The chamber on an AI is cut somewhat shorter (about .004) than the original cartridge to reduce any headspace problems when initial fire forming takes place. It provides a crush fit. Mine was like that too. There is nothing wrong with it.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,
Your cases may be too long. I also have a 338/06 and it must have a shorter neck lenght than the reg 30/06. I have to trim my cases when they get to 3.480 in length. I found this out the hard way by blowing a primer when I tried to fire a round that was hard to close the bolt on. You will love your 338/06. Took mine twice to Africa and it worked great on the big African antelope. Robert

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy- I remember your questions when deciding on a caliber. Glad to hear that you have the rifle in hand! The above suggestions will get you on the right track. The first thing I would check would be the case length - it _shouldn't_ be a problem as necking up tends to make brass shorter, but it is a very good idea to measure and make sure.

Also, try seating a bullet 'loosely' (i.e. no crimp, etc) and then chamber it and close the bolt. Extract it and see if the bullet was pushed deeper into the case - an easy way to see if you are seating the bullets too far out. If the bullet is out too far, it will make the bolt harder to shut, and it will increase pressures when it is fired, possibly making the bolt hard to lift when trying to extract the empty.

Speaking of empties...will it chamber an empty, sized case easily?

maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may have a problem with a thick neck because of a part of the case body of the 3006 has become neck, try turning your casenecks.