New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem Resizing 378 Weatherby Cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been resizing 378 cases for the last 25 years using a set of C-H dies and an old Herters press. It has always taken a big effort to full length resize them, which I always attributed to the poor geometry of the press.

But I recently replaced it with a Lee cast iron press and there is very little improvement. I'm guessing now that somehow the die is just undersized. Also expanding the neck on the upstroke also takes a huge effort, which I'm attributing to the poor design of the expander.

So I'm ready to buy a new set (or just a new resizer), but before I do I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What lube are you using, and are you lubing the inside of the neck; best for that is lee lube since it is not a grease. Proper lube is more important than the dies. I use Hornady lube in a tub; there is another type of stuff in a tub that people use that is like owl sh*t in slickness. '
Bottom line; it ain't your press. I load 50 BMG on a Lee press and it is very easy.
Right lube.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imperial case lube.

It works wonders when one has stubborn cases that don't play nice.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that is what I was trying to think of.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks - I was using Dillon Case Lube (from a spray bottle), I'll try the Imperial or Hornady.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone try Imperial dry case neck lube?

Looking at their dry lube applied to beads. Currently twisting necks over mica and a brush, but looking for something slicker.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like powdered graphite for lubing cases necks. I have a baby food jar 1/2 full and a Q-tip to apply the graphite. Works great and no mess to clean up.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Try polishing the expander ball on your die spindle. Get some very fine wet/dry sandpaper in grits from 600 to about 1200. Cut a piece about 1" square and put a few drops of oil on the paper. Chuck the die spindle in a power drill and spin it while pressing the wet/dry paper against the expander ball. Only take a few seconds.

I do this along with using graphite as snowman suggested.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Still need inside neck lube and I use mica and it is not the best. Lee lube is the best for that and it is not grease so it won't affect powder.
Have used graphite and it works well, but is like working in a coal mine to use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
imperial dry neck lube well. i've been satisfied with it.