Find
Notify
Tools

ball powder suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I'm looking for powder suggestions. I'm loading for 45 Colt and 40 S&W with Unique at the moment and am wanting to change to a ball powder for more consistancy from my powder measure (a Dillon). This is for paper punching/plinking loads, not hot stuff.

Thanks,
Ruger#1

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
Accurate number 2 or a surplus equivalent.

Powder

<reload>
posted
Second AA#2 for both calibers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
WW-231 or Hogdon HP-38 are also good choices.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
Another vote for AA#2, inexpensive, (more bang for the buck)goes thru my RCBS uni-flow very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Much thanks, I'll have a gander at my load info and see if I can find a nice mid-range load for both with one of those, I threw Unique thru my dillon measure for 30 minutes the other day to see how consistant it would be and it varied from 7.2 to 7.9 grains from charge to charge.

Ruger #1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Update, the best info I had was on 231 so I picked up some. I had excellent results, no more than .1 off on either side of what the target was.

Next question, can you use AA#2 load info with AA#2 Improved? Accurate's website is down so no help there.

Ruger#1

<Chainsaw>
posted
Yes, AA#2 Improved and AA#2 powder charge weights are the same according to Mr. Curtis at Accurate powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again [Smile]