Find
Notify
Tools

Best military crimp remover
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi!
I just obtained a bunch (several hundred rounds) of once-fired military crimped .223 brass from a local range. I've deprimed and cleaned it, and would like to remove the crimp so I can re-prime it easily.
What is the best way to go about this for a large number of cases? Should I look at a reamer tool, or a swage-type tool? What has worked for you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was about to buy the RCBS when a pen pal warned me that he had one, I could have it for free, but I would be disappointed.

I got the Dillon, and it is a masterpiece in engineering.

That sounds like an overstatement with so few parts, but that is part of the perfection.

Mount it to a board.
"C" clamp the board to the bench or table where you are working.

I clamped to a coffee table and did 7,000 pieces while watching TV.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a Swage tool of whatever kind is far superior to the crude (near criminally so) method of reaming brass.

Why remove metal when you can push it around?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Dillon super swage 600.
I have tried others mostly the cutting type.
Like Allan DeGroot asked "why remove metal..."

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi again...
OK, I'm sold on the swaging method vs. metal removal - makes sense.
However, this is for a one-time-only batch, and I don't feel comfortable spending $100 for a tool that will only be used once... are there any other swaging tools out there that are more reasonably priced ($30 or less) ?

Picture of LRRP
posted Hide Post
Try the RCBS swageing tool. Does a good job and does cost an arm and a leg.

Don't worry, I got your back

Posts: 20 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A deswaging tool is used more than once !. I've used my Dillon thousands of times and it works slick . Once fired military cases need to be desawged only one time , how ever each time one acquires that brass it must be done .

Not worth the expenditure for a one time only bunch , just buy regular brass and don't fuss with the military crimp type .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not worth the expenditure for a one time only bunch , just buy regular brass and don't fuss with the military crimp type

I use a swaging tool. But I have several 1000 223 cases yet to do. If you only have a couple 100 and don't plan on getting military again I would simply remove the metal. I've just stuck a larger sized drill bit in the press and done them that way. I've even used a counter sink tool. Yes swaging does a far better job.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can say the RCBS tool works, I have two of them, but I have buckled the small "22cal" center rod in one...

I actually have two complete tools, bucause I found that switching out the center rod to switch back and forth when doing 30cal brass and 22cal brass was a PITA.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
+! for the Dillon. You will forget how much it costs pretty soon.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady hand held tool. Cheap and effective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the Wilson trimmer, their reamer attachment will do a nice job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an RCBS and a Dillon. The internal dimensions of .308 cases vary enough that the Dillon 600 is a PITA. The RCBS works and is cheaper!

The best one though is part of a Dillon 1050 press ... just load the cases whether or not they're crimped. The primer pockets are swaged at station 3 Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Gracey reamer. Works best for batches of 10,000.

ld

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am definately a Dillon Fan, but the high price of their swager deterred me as well. I went with the RCBS and it works just fine. I was able to do a few hundred pieces in under an hour.

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
I have both the RCBS swager unit and the Dillon. Hands down on the Dillon. Ease of operation is the answer. You won't be sorry and will forget about the expense. Good luck.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the LE Wilson military crimp removal tool because it's accurate & turns out the crimp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone...
Thanks for the replies!
I thought long and hard about it, and just couldn't justify buying the Dillon swage. Again, this is for a ONE TIME ONLY lot of brass I obtained, and a $100 tool to me is something that I'd better use continuously, or I just can't justify it.
I ended up purchasing the RCBS swage combo kit, which includes swages for small and large primer pockets (I'll probably never use the large...). I tested it on about 50 of my military brass yesterday, and it works fine. A little slow (I'm sure the Dillon is WAY faster!) but adequate for my needs. I doubt the Dillon does a better job of swaging, it's probably just a lot easier to use and faster (and maybe more durable?).
Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase, and wanted to let people know that the RCBS is a decent option for military crimp removal.