Find
Notify
Tools

Lee collet neck sizer....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,

I was getting ready to go from a Redding standard neck size die to a type S bushing style. The cartridge concerned is the Rem. 25.06.

Several friends have suggested the Lee collet neck sizer and say they are getting great results.

I've never been a big Lee fan but it would be foolish not to inquire among the ranks for expert opinion.

What say ye? Is the Lee collet die a good piece of equipment or should I just order the Redding and a couple of bushing?

Thanks to all.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
The biggest problem I have with mine is the consistency of the neck size. It seems like every so often I go to seat a bullet and it slides in easier than others. I have come to get a feel for the sizer die- as in how hard to push down on the handle- without bottoming it out. It took time- but I do like mine.

<AKI>
posted
dr pin-points about the only potential problem with the collet dies, how to get consistent neck tension. My very first dies were collet dies in 222 and 30-06. I bought them with the Hand Press. Unintentionally I got an optimal combination. The spring in the press can be used to get very consistent neck tension. Just turn the dies down so that the distance between the handle stops are about .25" with a case in the dies. Then squeeze them together and test the tension by seating a bullet. If it�s all right, lock the die and size the rest.

Then I got a Challenger O-typ press for my dad. He sized 20 30-06 cases, charged them and 5 bullets just fell down on the powder... Ehh...? The solution is to install some sort of torque measure. A metal chain fixed between the handle and the frame enables you to apply the same force every time on the slightly springy handle. No problems there�after.

The collet dies might be a little more sensitive to disaligned presses, though the case should be kept straight by the decapper.

The case neck run outs are the same or better than what I get from RCBS full-length in 338Lapua, 30-378, and 9,3x62.

The best and simply wonderful advantage of the collet dies is that you do NOT have to mess with lubricants. Hundreds of cases are sized within a few minutes. Collet dies might be good for accuracy, but they really shines in speed. I now use them in 222, 6,5BR (shortened 6,5x55), 7x33 (modified 7mmBR), 7mmRM, 7,62x39, and 30-06.

I don�t think any of the "high quality" dies can make a better job than the collet dies without turning the case necks.

No, I�m not on Lee�s pay roll. I just like balance. There is no need (=use) for expensive dies if the rifle is +-MOA. The collet dies are, IMHO, .2 MOA capable, the few LEE presses I have seen are NOT straight (neither are some Roch Chuckers, but the owners paied a lot more...). With Lee stuff in general you get what you pay for, with collet dies you get much more. AKI

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one for each caliber I reload, and wouldn't use anything else.

I did have a problem with the .308 die... bullets just fell through into the casing. Sent it back to Lee, and they fixed it.

Had to sand down the mandrel just a hair on the .223.

Once I got them working, they work great. No lube, 10X the case life, great accuracy.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Go with the redding bushing die.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
If you don't neck turn your brass the Lee collet die is the way to go. I have the Redding S dies for all the cartridges I load for, but they are currently sitting in their boxes and not being used. I get better results with the collet dies. But let me add that when I buy the collet dies I take them apart and polish the collet and collet sleeve opening and then lube them with some lithium grease. This makes them work a lot better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

I believe I'm just going to have to try one of the Lee collet dies for myself and see how it goes. Certainly a minimal investment.

I use a Redding UltraMag press and it will be interesting to see how it works with the collet die.

Delta Hunter;

I will take your advice and polish up the die components.

Could you explain why S-type bushing dies have little benefit without neck turning?

Thanks again. Much to learn!

~Holmes

<Martindog>
posted
Holmes,

In theory, the benefit of bushing dies is best realized when necks are turned to uniform thickness. Otherwise, the bushing collapses the neck evenly from the outside so the out of round condition is transferred to the inside. Bullet seating is then somewhat impacted.

The nice thing about Lee dies is that even if necks aren't perfectly concentric, interior neck concentricty is controlled by a concentric, incompressible mandrel. Bullets seat straighter. Neck thickness variations aren't as critical.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Martindog.

What you say makes sense. I'm going to order the Lee collet die tomorrow and have a go with it.

I have been basic handloader for a long time primarily for the dollar savings. The recent acquisition of this quarter bore has got me searching for consistent sub-MOA loads and I'm having a great time learning all the techniques. My loading bench is becoming overcrowded with tools and other widgets and it now takes three trips from my car trunk at the range before I can begin shooting!

I can see that neck sizing is something I am going to have to get equipped for sooner or later. My goal is to take a prairie dog or two at 500 yards this summer.

Thanks again for the explanation.

~Holmes

<Delta Hunter>
posted
Ditto to what Martindog said.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found necks to be a bit more consistent with the Lee collet die if you rotate the case 45 degrees then size it again. This is really not much trouble as it just takes a short "double stroke" which becomes second nature once you've done it a couple of times. In theory, the case neck will be "rounder" using this method, and the neck-pull more uniform.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote