THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Same load, different bullet, different velocity,why?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Same load, different bullet, different velocity,why?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok I was just comparing the performance of the 6mm 55gr Nosler BT and the 55gr Sierra Blitzkings and found that the only difference between the two was the velocity. The Noslers where a consistant 100fps faster at 3,800fps. Why? Both loads where identical in powder type wieght and primer type. Accuracy was much the same for both of them though.

Lazo G

Posts: 56 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearing surface (where the bullet actually touches the lands).

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you test the speed, Laszo ?

At the muzzle means (an interesting dicussion maybe about) interior ballistics, and at the it target it is a BC consideration again.

[ 08-15-2002, 10:25: Message edited by: waitaminit ]

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<coyote control>
posted
Like dbBill said - Bearing surface

one of us
posted Hide Post
I measured velocity at the muzzle. Could you elaborate on the effects of bearing surface?

Thanks for the replies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bearing surface is the surface of the bullet in contact with the barrel - which means the amount of friction.
It seems evident that a higher friction reduces the speed of the bullet.

I am not so sure about that.
The more surface=friction means also that the bullet is slower in gaining speed i.e. the volume behind the bullet is increasing slowlier.
The more resistance the burning (exploding) powder finds, the higher the pressure will become. Thus the maximum speed of the bullet at pressure maximum will be higher with a bullet which offers more friction.
This initial advantage in speed may be eaten up by the friction of the bullet on its way to the muzzle, but not necessarily.

The unwillingness to start, i.e. to give more room to the explosion gases, is the reason why we reduce the powder charge with raising weight of the bullet.

For you it is easy to find out what happened:

1) same load, same primer, same case: the flatter primer had the bullet with higher bearing surface in front
2) which bullet had the higher velocity ?

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<WRYFOX>
posted
So many factors at play, even using the same bullet. For me I am careful to manage chamber temp and chamber time for each cartridge. Is it possible that your firing the other bullets right after the first. Hotter chamber will increase pressure and therefore velocity.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'd put my betting money on either bullet hardness or distance to lands, before I'd bet on bearing surface. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for the replies.

Ok the Noslers had the slightly flatter primer and were faster. As far as chamber temp is concerned I let the rifle cool down between shooting groups. The distance to the land was slightly different between the two bullets I'm presuming because the OAL of the Noslers was a bit longer than the Sierras(but only by about.005). The Nosler is actually a slightly longer projectile (could this be why it has a greater bearing surface?) and by the way has a larger B.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lazo, when I tried to retrieve some data from QuickLoad to bbef up my arguments, I found that Sierra has no 55gr bullets in .243. they start with HP1500 in 60 gr, next is Blitz King 1507 with 70 gr.

You may want to check your bullets before further headscratchings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same bullet weight but different shape = difference in bearing surface = difference in MV.
This is also why you cannot interchange bullets of same weight without redeveloping the load from the beginning!!
Or ELSE.... [Frown]

K&B
Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote