New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 WinMag rim and belt diameters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would some of you measure your rim and belt diameters on some new 338 WM brass and post it?

Not sure if I have some way undersized factory Winchester brass or way oversized factory chamber. My new brass is measuring .528 to.5285" as I recall. Lyman book shows .532" but I think that is outside spec.
I am shooting in Tikka T-3 rifle and getting some serious dimensional differences just ahead of the rim.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just looked at some old .338 load data, fired cases, not new. Belts were .533, head in front of belt .516. I don't know what the o.d. tolerance is on the belt but in my experience it usually is a sloppy fit in a factory chamber. As long as you get proper head space I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The maximum SAAMI for a 338 win.mag.on the rim & belt is .532" It can be smaller by -.005" The maximum diameter in front of the belt is .5127" This can be smaller by -.008" SAAMI drawing of cartridge & chamber here> PDF file-SAAMI Drawing Headspace on the shoulder, not the belt.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote