THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    To DALE ----------- 17 caliber die sets Question

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To DALE ----------- 17 caliber die sets Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I checked the Forster Die they make a full and seating die -------
RCBS make a Neck a Full and a seating die.
Why are you recomending the Forstar?
I understand that the 17 Caliber is bad for fouling after 15 or 20 or so shots .
Can that be stopped or slowed down by using the Molly bullets?
I can only find one Brass Company producing 17 Cal. Remington!
I am going to buy one, but my question is do I want another CZ for $500 or do I go for a 700 for more money , I can do more off the 700 action , but I have found the CZ much more accurate.
Well thats enough questions , but a 17 is a new gun for me I needed some help .
thanks Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the seating die from the Bonanza/Forster dies. I feel that overall their quality is far superior to RCBS. They also cost about twice as much but I think they are worth it.

The .17s have a reputation for fouling badly, but it has not been a problem for me. One day I fired 25 rounds at prairie dogs, then came home and fired a 5-shot group without cleaning the rifle. The group went 0.65". I feel that Remington knows how to make a .17 barrel.

My rifle is a Rem. 700 and I really like it. I use Rem. brass, Rem. 25 gr. HP bullets (they have been discontinued), Rem. 7-1.2 primers, and AA-2495 powder.

As far as I know Remington is the only maker of .17 Rem. brass.

I feel my .17 is a rather specialized rifle. I use it for a little general varmint shooting, but consider it best for shooting critters where you want the hides. I use a .223 Rem. for most of my general varmint shooting. It is easier to reload and works well with ball powders (especially BL-C(2)) that meter so well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi glad I hooked up , I am retired and basicaly play with my guns I target shoot I stay busy messing with them The 17 looks like a challange to me I gave up on hunting shot all the game I want to kill or pack out .
I have had spectacular luck with CZ for accuracy unbelievable both under .20 so that sways me a bit but I have owned a bunch of 700 and they offer a lot. I sure don't need one but a guy wants to buy a 22 so I think I will be forced in to it.
What part of the world do you live ?
I am in Oregon.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway does not list the dies that way they only use the worf Forster , we are talking the same dies right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Forster dies are the ones I like. They were originally Bonanza dies, then the company was bought by Forster and the dies were called Forster/Bonanza. Apparently now they are just called Forster dies. I do not think you will be disappointed by the quality. The runout on finished rounds is much less than with most of my RCBS dies. I have been getting the Forster dies from Lock, Stock, and Barrel in Valentine, Nebraska.

I live in Utah.

Dale

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Remington 700 BDL , I thought about the CZ knowing it would be the most accurate out of the box and I will more than likly be in for a trigger on the Remington , decided that the long run if I want to re calibur the gun the 700 is best.I do like the 700 action
Bill