New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Trim die"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone using a "trim die", i.e. a die for the press where you insert the case in the holder, raise it and file off the excessive case length. Read about it in the Hornady manual, seems much easier that the traditional way...

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've been using them (RCBS brand though) for 40+ years. Work just fine. Never had a problem with any of them.

Not only are they often less expensive than most firms' sizing dies or seating dies, but if you cut the body of the die off substantially, you can make a "shoulder die" out of one. That is you can use it to move the shoulder back on brass you may need to do that for.

Just adjusting how far the die is screwed into the press will allow you to put the shoulder wherever you want it.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a number of them that I use for forming cases. I then use a piece of hacksaw blade in a saber saw to cut off the excess case. I have never used a file with one since it sort of goes against my grain to run a good file against a piece of hardened steel.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use a couple of trim dies. They're most handy when you need to shorten a case a lot like I do when making 357 Herrett cases out of 30/30 Winchester cases.

Running a file over one goes against my grain as well but I do it and haven't worn out a file yet.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They work great for making major changes to case size, like the Herrett conversion previously mentioned. Otherwise a bit slow for my liking.