New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Development The Easy Way.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is the way to develop a load that works almost all of the time. More complicated systems are fine for fine tuning.

Look up in your book the load that produces the highest velocity for that bullet weight. If you don't have that powder on hand then use the second or third highest.

Load one cartridge with the minimum suggested load and write the charge on the side of the case with a marking pen. Do this up to one grain off of maximum in one grain increments for large cartridges and 1/2 grain increments for small ones.

When you get up to one grain under max load up six cartridges. Use the standard seating depths and suggested primers.

Fire all the loads at the same aim point but make notes after each shot is fired as to the let off point and where it hits.

Your all set! That's it. Over and over this proves to be the best load.

Now some bullets and barrels just don't get along. If the load does not shoot then you might consider changing the bullet but I an confident that say if you started the load developement with Sierra bullets and it does not shoot that well then it's time to start working on the rifle and not the loads.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted

I think you're on to something there, for sure. In many, many instances, the slower burning powder which gives the highest load density will shoot tight near the upper pressure limit--it just does. (And in truth, this is where the optimal charge weight zone generally is, and since that zone is about 2% wide, the liklihood of landing in it with the method you mention is pretty high).

No argument here... [Smile]

Take care,

Dan

<Glenn R>
posted
Are you saying to start at the minimum and work up in 1 grain increments for the purpose of checking for excessive pressure? Are you also saying that the powder that produces the most velosity at one grain under maximun will be be the most accurate load, so we should load 6 cartridges at that load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
While this system may work in some cases it fails miserably in others.It is rare that using only one powder,one bullet and one seating depth will provide optimum accuracy.In some instances I have had to use three or four powders and more than one bullet or bullet weight to find which a gun likes best.In general though I have found nosler ballistic tips to be the most accurate bullet in most of my rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I think what Savage 99 is talking about is simply a good, reliable hunting load. While (as he mentions) further fine tuning can be done, depending on the application of the cartridge, it may not really be necessary.

If you can land a 1 to 1.5 MOA recipe with only a handful of expended shots, and that level of accuracy suits your needs, you're ready to hunt.

That's how I take what he's saying...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glenn,

This "system" is not ment to be complicated nor perfect. I suggest starting at the minimum load as I have seen data or powder made wrong from time to time and with one shot per increase it gets over with fast. Half the time your bore sighting or checking the first few shots at 50 yds anyway.

Over the years I have seen starting charges of of powder that will fill the case with a full loads scatter shots but then tighted right up. It's just a safe, fast way of getting it over with.

And the point about one grain under published max is for safety. There is no common sense reason to load to the maximum. Just get a bigger cartridge, a longer barrel or get closer to the target. We are talking about setting off a controlled explosion right in front of our face when a cartridge is fired and it's held back by a thin piece of brass!

I really feel that over the years that a lot of the handloads and factory loads I have fired have been pretty good but the rifles have varied a lot and in many cases needed work from as simple a reason as something was loose to bedding, crowns etc and the ultimate a bad barrel.

It's usually the gun or techinque and not the ammunition. Even if you find some load that's the only one that will shoot that may mean that the rifle is still not right in some way and sure enough the ambiant temperature will change and the load will shoot hotter and spray them all over again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used almost this same method for finding
OCW for years but with a slightly different approach. I find a bullet first and then research
reloading manuals and now web sites for at least three maximum charges with a particular powder.
Then average the 3 maximums and load +/- 1.5gr
on both sides of the mean charge in 0.5gr increments (3 rounds per increment). I seat all
OAL's at 0.020" off the lands. I then fire these
on six one inch diamonds, squares, circles etc.
on the same target and look for the group that
gets larger and drop back 0.5gr for best load.
Then work on best seating depth, and test at
other ranges besides 100yds. I've had best results
with Hodgdon, Alliant and IMR powders. BLR7

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Glenn R>
posted
Savage 99:
I was just trying to clarify. I agree to start low and work up and there is also no need to load too hot. I have heard others say that the most accurate load is typically about 1 grain less than maximum pressure. Is this what you are saying is your experience?

Is it also your experience that the powder that generates the highest velosity at a safe pressure is also the most accurate? Very interesting and useful information. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not positive about any of this ok? For instance it am not postitive that overloading and blowing out primer pockets etc does not make more accurate loads. It might but I am not going there.

I do have a strong and general feeling however that as long as a given powder is burning well and is positioned in a full case or even a fast powder with a filler for that matter that the load will shoot quite well in any perfect rifle.

I do caution against spending a lot of time on a rifle with load development when it's the rifle that needs the attention and not the load. That's my point.

<green 788>
posted
"I do caution against spending a lot of time on a rifle with load development when it's the rifle that needs the attention and not the load. That's my point." Savage99

Amen! [Smile]

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link that takes this quick, one trip system a little further.

I really use my system and it gets me going and in fact finished with load development in one trip to the range.

www.varminthunters.com/tech/loaddevel.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
This seems a kind of "laddertest" :

http://www.sportschutters.com/Laddertest.htm

I host the PDF for

http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Selshanik;
You have a translator for that link?

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I wondered the same thing, but I don't think the PDF format will work with a translator--someone correct me if I'm wrong--but I just don't see how it could.

I guess we'll have to find someone who speaks German with plenty of time on their hands! [Smile]

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's in english. Click on "load development" or "ladder test"

I posted that link to Audettes and the South African work a couple of years ago here at AR.

It's also in the second link under "English Articles"

[ 03-09-2003, 01:00: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like starting in the middle of a Speer published load (usually about 2 grns under max) and working up in 1/2 grain increments. At the first sign of any presure, usually flattened primers and hard bolt lift, you know your close to that rifles max. Back it off 1.5 grains and repeat with 3-3 shot groups. If none are satisfactory I change a component but chances are there will be a clear winner and that is my basis for further improvment. Pretty basic and effective.

[ 03-09-2003, 07:58: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
or, you can try jeffe's tried and true HUNTING method...

start with the middle load
measure the MAX oal for THAT bullet
subtract .0250 from the max (unless it's barnes X, then start with .065)
load about 8 at this depth (3 to make sure it's on, 5 to measure)
and load 5 more at decreasing length of .0005

best accuracy should be between .025 and .035..., and I have found most guns like .0275....

just my way, you don't have to use it.
jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote