New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 45 acp brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I agree with www.starlinebrass.com -good quality from standard to +p and 45 super and shipping is free-1-800-280- 6660

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ramsyamos, Welcome Aboard!

Looks like you are getting some excellent suggestions above. Whatever you decide to go with, make sure it is well polished to the point of glistening and it will be a lot easier to locate on the ground. For this reason, I prefer "Nickle Plated" 45ACP casesfor my use. They are harder on the Dies, but it sure helps in locating them in the grass. A well polished brass case stands out fairly well too.

If you can take an old sheet with you and place it appropriately, it will catch the majority of the Cases for you "once" you get the Load regulated for the pistol. If it is spraying Cases all over the place, often a slight change in the Load or switching to a different Powder can help get them to Eject into a smaller area.

If that doesn't work, a competent PistolSmith can slick the pistol up and help you out.

I've also used brassmanbrass.com and had good luck with them.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i agree hot core!lot of helpful shooters on this board.looks like once fired is the way to go.yesterday at a gun show i was offered a 5 gallon bucket of brass for 75.00.seems like a good deal to me.whats the best medium to tumble them in to clean them up?havent seen them yet so dont know what shape thier in.the sheet seems like a good idea.has anyone used the shell savers that attach to your pistol?lots more questions on the 45 but dont want to ask to many at a time.

Posts: 17 | Location: wv | Registered: 10 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you will find that nickel plated brass has a lubricity to them that makes them feed smoother in a semi-auto pistol

Posts: 110 | Location: Minden , Nebraska | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... whats the best medium to tumble them in to clean them up? ... has anyone used the shell savers that attach to your pistol?...lots more questions on the 45 but dont want to ask to many at a time.

Hey Ramsy, You will probably have the best luck by starting a new thread for each question. Once people look at a particular thread they occasionally don't hit it a second time.

I use both walnut and corncob. There are all kinds of cleaners you can use, just make sure it DOES NOT have any Ammonia in it. Ammonia causes embrittlement and pin-holes to form in the brass.

I typically use good old "Liquid KIT" car wax because they claim it is nearly 100% Carnuba. So, I can use it to polish the cases clean and a separate bowl to apply the Carnuba to the bullets I Moly coat.

If you have not purchased a tumbler yet, they really work fine and typically last a good while if you run them where they don't overheat.

---

I've only used one of those things that attach to the pistol one time for maybe 3 shots that a guy was using at the Range. It messed up the balance of the pistol for me, so I didn't like it. That doesn't mean anyone else wouldn't like them though.

Another option is a catcher similar to a "Dip Net" with a fine mesh cloth or screen replacing the net. You position it beside you so the Cases eject into it. Here again though the Load and pistol need to be properly "tuned" so they eject into the catcher.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
ramsyamos
Spent the day out at the range, mainly to shoot rifles. I picked up one third of a 5 gal pail of 45 brass, looks to be once fired.
You can buy your brass tumbling media at the pet store by the 20 or 50 pound sack for next to nothing. It's crushed walnut hulls.
I do so love those rich 45 shooters leaving brass behind for us scroungers.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote