Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet jump and Audette
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted
I found a lot of threads on load development and the Audette method seems logic to me. I wonder why Dan and Hot Core do not like each other, in fact there is no much difference between OCW and ILDM.
I invite them both here on my island in the North Sea, perhaps that will straighten minds in some way.
'Nough said.
Once found the best Audette charge you have to finetune the the seating depth, our experts tell us. I wonder if this seating depth will stay put for different bullets. I found my best jump for my Sendero .270 Win at .029", and this worked for me using Sierra's, AccuBonds, Scirocco's, Partitions.
I used the Barnes X a couple o'years, but the accuracy was poor, about 2,5 MOA. Now I want to test the TSX 130grainers, which is $1 a piece here. So, once found the optimum charge, do I have to finetune as well for a new bullet or can I seat them at (my best) .029'? Please input!
Thanks,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan:
...I wonder why Dan and Hot Core do not like each other, in fact there is no much difference between OCW and ILDM.
Hey Jan, I believe I'm qualified to answer that question. Wink

I don't like "ANY" post that has the potential to create a SAFETY issue for a Beginning Reloader. Rookie green used to "claim" people could just take a specific Load he had tried in one rifle and post that it was the most accurate combination of Powder for ANY bullet of the same weight and "implied" it was SAFE to just load it up and begin using it. That is about as Full-of-Beans as it gets. The SAFETY issue got him laughed off this Board.

Though the same Load may work well in other rifles, the chances for it being the "most accurate Load" are slim, plus the SAFETY issue of not working up a Load from below is the Totally Wrong message for a Beginning Reloader.

After rookie green plagerized the never improved upon Creighton Audette Method he just quit giving him due credit. Pitiful!

On second thought though, that is probably just as well, because the vast majority of the changes rookie green made to Mr. Audette's Method simply degrade the opportunity to find the most Accurate Load.

quote:
I invite them both here on my island in the North Sea, perhaps that will straighten minds in some way.
I certainly appreciate the invitation, but it is extremely rare for me to travel outside the USA today. A sincere Thank You though.

quote:
...Once found the best Audette charge you have to finetune the the seating depth, our experts tell us. I wonder if this seating depth will stay put for different bullets. I found my best jump for my Sendero .270 Win at .029", and this worked for me using Sierra's, AccuBonds, Scirocco's, Partitions.
I used the Barnes X a couple o'years, but the accuracy was poor, about 2,5 MOA. Now I want to test the TSX 130grainers, which is $1 a piece here. So, once found the optimum charge, do I have to finetune as well for a new bullet or can I seat them at (my best) .029'? Please input!...
I hate this kind of answer - maybe it will work just fine at the same Seating Depth, but it might be more accurate if adjusted a bit in-or-out.

If you are happy with the initial Accuracy and it shoots well at the distance you intend to take shots at Game, leave it alone. But check it periodically to see if the groups are opening.

As you shoot your rifle, the "distance to the Lands"(Seating Depth) begins getting longer. This is due to normal barrel wear created by the heat and pressure of simply shooting it. The amount of lengthing is also a function of how hot the barrel is when you send consecutive shots through it and the amount of Powder being used.

And as you open a new box of bullets, the position and shape of the Ogive might be a bit different from your previous box. So, it is a good idea to Record the "Kiss-the-Lands" distance when you open a new box and see if it is the same or different from the previous box of the same Part Number Bullet.

If you find the distance different, then you may need to change the Seating Depth and/or Load slightly to have the same accuracy you previously had.
---

Not everything rookie green said is Totally Wrong. For example Mr Audette stressed shooting at 300yds to help locate the Harmonic Clusters. And that is still appropriate for most centerfire rifles today.

However rookie green had asked how that would work with cartridges like the 30-30, 35Rem and 44Mag? Due to the typical Trajectory created by the lower Velocity of those cartridges, it does make good sense to do your Load Development with them at a closer distance.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Thank you HC, a pity you cann't come over, its really nice here and the sea brings vibrations to rest...!
I am reloading a long time. I always keep good records of my throatwear. Taking a new box of bullets I measure the wear with a Stoneypoint chamber gauge. I also measure the COL using other brands or qualifications of bullets of course. All my rounds have practically no runout, thanks to the Bersin tool. Borecleaning after every 20 rounds, after a hundred or so with the 'Foul Out'-method, Outers. My ranges for shooting are average 150 yards and up. My longest shot on a roedeer (very small deer, mature about 40 to 60 pounds) was 345 yards, sitting with the hasty sling method.
Anyhow, you suggest an Audette test for the jump for the TSX as well?

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jan, Great shooting on that Roe Deer. One of our other posters, Andre, has posted pictures of them in the past, and they are quite small indeed.

So, it looks like your Reloading Methods are working great.
---

I've not shot a TSX, so I'm not the correct person to give "experienced advice" concerning them.

If " I " was going to Develop a Load for a TSX, I would use the Audette Method. But, from the posts I've read on here, most folks just Load them up, shoot a few groups at 100yds and are very happy with them.

Perhaps starting a Thread on "How do you Develop Loads using a TSX?" would get some experienced users to tell you what they did.

Continued good shooting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with TSXs is they shoot best in my guns @ 0.050" to 0.070" off the lands. I tried them at 0.028" but the accuracy was not adequate. Barnes recommends seating at least 0.050" off for best accuracy and pressures, and I've found it to be good advice.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote