New
Find
Notify
Tools

reduced power load for 45 ACP ...help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone out there got a recipe and spring combo for reduced power for a 45 ACP in a 230 grain? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the old target shooters recipe was 5 grains of bullseye for full power loads 3.5 for target loads. you have to get a weak spring for the target loads to function. if i remember right (and thats a rare occasion) i think it was about a 12-14# spring

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many fps do you consider as reduced power?

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Bullseye is one powder to put at the top of your list. I'm shooting a Hensely Gibbs cast 200 g with 4.3 for a mild shooting all around combo. Accuracy is awesome out of a P-14 Para-Ordnance.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 5gr of RedDot under a 200gr Gold Dot or Rainier HP. I don't shoot 230's.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Red Dot is a good one for the .45 ACP, but I don't consider 5 grains much of a reduced load. In a S&W revolver where action function is irrelavent, a friend and I used to use 3 grains of Red Dot under a 200 SWC or 230 LRN bullet. I don't know what the velocity was, but those old LRNs would go through both sides of an armadillo.

If you're interested in using Red Dot in an automatic (and making it function), I would start with about 3.5 grains and increase a tenth of a grain as necessary until you achieve reliable function. This assumes cast/swaged lead bullets.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with butchloc about the 3.5 grains of Bullseye, however this was with 200 grain cast lead, not 230 grain FMJs.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How low do you want to go 1.5grs of bullseye or red dot well get you about 500fps with a 230 gr lead bullet.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longshot_44:
Anyone out there got a recipe and spring combo for reduced power for a 45 ACP in a 230 grain? Thanks
Im running a smith 1911 stainless model...if it matters. i just want to get good hits @ say 25 yds. max. Newbie here!

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Personaly, I don't like changing the gun to match a load but like to load to match the gun. A 4.5gr charge of WST runs a 230grLRN @ 800fps, w/ very soft recoil. You can go down to 4.3gr for about 750fps & still get good functioning w/ stock springs. Much lower, just shoot a 9mm. nilly

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I shot NRA Bullseye Competition, most everybody used 3.5gr of Bullseye with a H&G 130 bullet at 25 yards. Some used as low as 3.3 BE.

At 50 yards many used a H&G 68 with 3.8gr of BE.

For IPSC and defense many used 7.5gr of Unique with the H&G 68.

We did use a lower power spring for the lighter loads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Start with your current load and reduce it until the gun doesn't cycle right, usually the slide won't go back far enough to pick up a round. Then go back to the last load that worked.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 27 June 2009 10:06 Hide Post
Back when I shot NRA Bullseye Competition, most everybody used 3.5gr of Bullseye with a H&G 130 bullet at 25 yards

those were some good days, I remember one old guy that would shoot all morning, dig the bullets out of the bank, melt them back down and recast and reload them all afternoon, and then shoot em up again the next morning. damn good shot too

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote