New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for .41 Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Taurus Tracker in .41 Mag. The owners manual states loads for a 210 grain bullet should not excede 1300 fps.
Wouldn't any load that stays under a certain pressure be safe? I am finding loads that stay within the pressure listed for other 1300 fps loads that have more velocity.
I am very new at loading handgun amo and need some guidence.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacobite:
I just bought a Taurus Tracker in .41 Mag. The owners manual states loads for a 210 grain bullet should not excede 1300 fps.
Wouldn't any load that stays under a certain pressure be safe? I am finding loads that stay within the pressure listed for other 1300 fps loads that have more velocity.
I am very new at loading handgun amo and need some guidence.

Yes you are right it is the pressure that you have to monitor but without special equipment we have to use weight and speed as "ballpark" for the loads pressure.....I had good luck with 2400 at 16.0 grains with hard lead 210 in my 57 smith and this is under max a grain or so and is a decent deer load......or similar.....if you stay with quality manuals and the same type bullets/weight and lead or jacketed you should be fine....there is a little give and take between some loads and the pressure that will be produced in your gun due to cly tightness and throat/bore specs.....I haven't used tarusus revolvers but had several 57 and a 58Smith.......good caliber that responds to a good simple load.....enjoy...good luck and good shooting!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite load for the 41 mag for hunting purposes is 21 grains of H110 under the Beartooth Bullets 250 or 265 grain WFN.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the problem Taurus is worried about is the recoil of a very light gun with a fairly high-powered load - i.e. the bullets will get pulled from the case a little with each shot and after you get 3 or 4 shots fired, the fifth bullet will be protruding from the front of the cylinder and jam the gun. Same problem that caused S&W to mark their Model 296 and 396 revolvers with a 200 grain bullet weight limit. These are aluminium L-frame revolvers in 44 special; whose factory loads don't have near the power of a 41 Magnum.

Make sure that your reloads have lots of neck tension and a firm roll crimp (I recommend Reddings Profile Crimp die, others have recommended Lee's Factory Crimp die) to hold the bullet in the case. Do a test by loading 5 cartridges, fire 4 shots checking the OAL of the fifth cartridge between each shot, then load four more and fire them; checking the SAME fifith cartridge OAL. If the bullet doesn't move in eight shots I wouldn't worry anout that load no matter what the bullet weight or velocity.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote