Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handloading questions
 Login/Join

posted
Getting ready to work up some loads for a Rem 700VLS in 260Rem toped with a Leupold VX-III 6.5 x 20, using Nosler 120BT�s and Ramshot Hunter powder, and have a few questions. I have 5 boxes of once fired Rem brass all from the same lot. My first question is how much of a powder increase, starting load is 44grs, max load is 47grs? Second, is it better to shoot the test loads out a 100, 200, or 300 yrds? The range I belong to is good out to 350 yrds. I had the rifle accurized by Robert Hart & Sons, they lapped the lugs & barrel, touched up the crown, and bedded the actions and 2� of the barrel. While talking to them about loading for the rifle they stated that with a factory chamber and barrel don�t get benchrest type dies, just use standard RCBS. Benchrest dies would be a waist of money, spend the money on a good rest and shooting the barrel out learning to read the wind. Third, what are your thoughts on using the benchrest dies, or will the standard Hornady and RCBS work? All I�m looking for, is to be able to shoot 10 rounds into � of an inch at 100 yrds or 5 inchs or less at 300 yards and be able to hit chucks and yotes out to 500 yrds. Fourth, is about brass prep, the gunsmith said to just make sure they are all the same length and not worry about anything else until I get a custom barrel installed. What do you think of brass prep with a factory chamber?

Thanks,
Mark

Posts: 3 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Mark, I would disagree that the better dies will not be an advantage, and the tools will be there after the barrel is gone. Much of the shooting they are suggesting is to gain experience before joining the big leagues and going the custom tube fitted chamber club. Your goal should be attainable with either type dies, but I would still prefer the best I could afford along the way as they are cheaper in the long run. As to powder increments, I would go in 1/2 grain tries till pressure showed it's ugly head and then back off to the most accurate and try .2 grains either side of the best shooting load. Also you may want to vary the seating depth outside of magizine length restrictions so beware of pressure when seating longer than previousily. Enjoy the challenge.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd consider a good set of dies a better investment than accuracing a factory barrel, but you already went down that road. I don't think much of RCBS dies, and Redding BR dies really aren't that much more expensive. You could also get a bushing neck sizer die.

10 shots into 3/4" at 100 yds is an ambitous goal. Are you planning on shooting ten shot groups when working up loads? If you're looking for long range loads, then work up loads at longer range. I only have access to a 100 yd range for load work, so that's what I've used. I've seen groups that do well at 100 not to so well at longer ranges, and ho hum 100 yd loads do better at longer range.

I usually work up in 1 gr increments, and when I find a promising load, then try that load again, and try 1/2 gr less and 1/2 grain more. I agree on brass prep being superfolous. Depending on your results, you might also want to pick up some Lapua .308 win brass. It should have a slightly thicker neck, which will take up slop in the factory chamber, and it is generally higher quality then rem brass.

120 gr 6.5mm bt's shoot wicked accurate in a good gun

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote