Find
Notify
Tools

Triple Shock Bullets & M70
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CK
posted
Thought I would pass along my findings with Barnes Triple Shock X bullets - Here's the details:

7/26/03 - Temp 62 degrees.

Cal: 30/06

Rifle: Winchester Model 70 SS Classic LH 24 in. barrel, with a McMillian stock / Leupold Vari-X II.

Bullet: TSX .308 - 168 gr.

Powder: Reloader 22 / 62 grains

Primer: Federal

Brass: Remington

OAL: 2.295

Chronograph: PACT Model 1

Vel: 2848 fps Avg. for 10 rounds

3 - 3 shot groups @ 100 yards: Avg. group 1.18 inch. **

Scope setting: 9X

** With 2 of the groups, from 2 shots there were 1 holers - One measured .404 - The other was .382 - My trigger needs to be worked, as I would pull to the left with a flier, opening up to 1 inch + groups.

One note: Fouling was not a issue. Used 6 patches.

Bottom line: The Barnes Triple Shock X shoot in my M70.

[ 07-28-2003, 22:43: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you get that much Rel 22 in the case,and then seat that long Barnes X on top of it?

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
That's a good question: Right from the my RCBS powder thrower it would fill the case past the top of the neck. But if you throw your powder into the scale pan, weigh it, and use a powder funnel, dump the powder into the funnel in a swirl fashion, it only fills the neck half way. I stuff the bullet and it's good to go. It works for me.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CK:
That's a good question: Right from the my RCBS powder thrower it would fill the case past the top of the neck. But if you throw your powder into the scale pan, weigh it, and use a powder funnel, dump the powder into the funnel in a swirl fashion, it only fills the neck half way. I stuff the bullet and it's good to go. It works for me.

Swirling has always worked for me.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the swirling, kinda strange but it allows the powder to fall in a more inform way.

At least that is how I think it works

Posts: 189 | Location: Asheville NC | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote