Find
Notify
Tools

130 gr. TSX in the 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted
Has anyone used to this bullet on deer/antelope sized game in the 30-06? Barnes says that you can step down a weight when using their bullets from your normal bullet. I have used 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips, and I was just wondering if anyone has tried to 130 gr. TSX and what their recommendations/opinions are.

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I dont shoot the 30.06 anymore, but when I did I found it shot better with heavier bullets.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No reason it won't work superbly if your gun likes it. I've got a .308 bar that's not a great velocity getter but even with the 20" barrel am getting over 2900 with this bullet and good accuracy. It has a bc near alot of lead tipped 150's and true to barnes reputation should hold alot of that original wt on impact and penetrate deeply. Lets see a 165 grain that looses 40% of it's weight retains about 99 grains. A TSX of 130grains that retains 90% of it's wt==117 grains. NO reason it can't give you good "flatness" and 150/165 conventional bullet performance.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hammering FWIW, deer size game just about any properly placed bullet will do. Heavier bullets do better in wind and long range but a guy who knows how his rifle shoots can do wonders regardless of what brand of bullet. Jack O'Connor thought a 270 was ample gun for elk USED IN THE RIGHT HANDS !! It is. Most important factor in all this discussion of which bullets and what calibers is a mute point, IMO. Bullet placement/accurate shooting is the # 1 FACTOR. Do you think a deer can tell the difference between being hit with a bullet at 2770 FPS verses 2450 in the same location on his body ? Barnes is a great one to use if your rifle likes them, hard to beat !

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with you concerning bullet placement being the most important factor. I just came across about 100 of these for an amazing price, so I was just wondering what other's mileage may have been in general.

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will find that the 130TSX is deadly on deer. The only concern is how well your 3006 shoots light bullets. NO real reason not to have one shot kills. I had great success with the 140TSX in 7mm08 and just loaded up a bunch of 120TSXs for next year.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think you should stick to weights that match well with calibers, the 130 will prolly shoot great and a little faster but it BC will not be near as good as a 150-165 grn bullet. use the 06 to its potential and that is driving heavier bullets a little faster than a 308. stick with a 150 or a 165, I do agree the TSX's should allow for a little lighter and smaller caliber bullet to do the job

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
I think you should stick to weights that match well with calibers, the 130 will prolly shoot great and a little faster but it BC will not be near as good as a 150-165 grn bullet.

Actually, the BC will be pretty darn near the same. The SD (Sectional Density) on the other hand, will suffer.

130 gr. Barnes TSX will do fabulously for deer, assuming your shot placement is correct and your gun will shoot them accurately. Other than that, there's no downside.

Personally, I think it would be fun to get one of these going about 3800 fps out of my .300 Weatherby, but I doubt it would stabilize. My Weatherby doesn't even like 165's, so I shoot 180 gr. X-bullets. Takes out bears, moose, elk, and deer very nicely.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just got back from the range and had book max loads of the 130 tsx going 3600fps out of my 300 win mag (sav/stevens with 24" barrel).
Yikes....that's faster than I think they should have been going but no sign of pressure on the cases..no ejector marks, no heavy bolt lift. Accuracy wasn't that steller...about 4" at 200 yds.
These bullets have a "claimed" bc of .374 which put's right there with flat based 150 grainers like a hornady spitzer. Even at 3500 fps that would make one flat shooter to 300yds and awesome deer/antelope medicine if accurate.
Just ran the idea past my Quick load program with a 300 yd zero and 3500 fps... It gets no higher than 3.3" on it's way to 300yds...is dead on at 300 yds....and is 3.3" low at 350yds. NOT BAD!
BTW--this load should still be doing about 2200 fps at 500 yds....plenty fast for a perfect opening "x" with all pedals deployed!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote