New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long term brass care
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any special precautions I should take to store brass? I recently bought 500 cases for my 416 Remington and plan to only use 50 at a time. It may take me a while to get to some of the stored brass (I am kinda hoping this will be a long term or life time supply) but I wasn't sure if I need to do anything special when I store the other brass. I am using Midway's 50 rd plastic boxes and they are in the spare room of the house, is there anything else I should do?
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Pollutants in the air probably are the most harmful things for brass in the long term. I keep my "lifetime" supply of brass in Ziploc bags. They're a bit more air proof than the cartridge boxes.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moisture's a big problem as well. If they turn green, you know it's too humid! Also, no matter how well you care for it, brass will become brittle with age. After perhaps 10-15 years, depending on the brass & storage conditions, you should anneal the necks before using it. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
News to me. I've fird ammo from WW2 with no problems and then reloaded it with no problems...............?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep my "EXTRA" brass in vacuum seal bags! As long as they don't get any holes in them, I know that they are air tight!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was given a quantity of virgin WCC 45 .30-06 ball ammo, which I use for cast bullet loads. After two firings (1,750fps) several necks split. I then annealed them and haven't had another split neck since. Some of this brass has been fired +8x. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shows you're never too old to learn somethin' new.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise, I will switch to ziplock bags for long term storage.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote