THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers - primerpocket - setting depth..?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted
Are there differences in size of the primers from different manufacturers..? I`ve had some problems getting the primers deep enough into the primerpocket..
I know that the size/depth on primerpockets will vary from different manufacturers of brass.
So I bought a primer pocket uniformer from RCBS, but it didn`t help much..
Earlier I used CCI most of the time, but lately I`ve been using Remington. But I`ve used both of them on different brass, so I can`t really decide wheter it`s the brass or the primers that`s the problem..
Anyone with the same problem..or maybee a solution for me..? Thanks!

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Anders
What are you seating the primers with?
I've had difficulty in the past with seating the primers, I found it was the device rather then the primers.
Ever since I uniformed all of my primer pockets and clean the pockets at each reloading I've not had the problem.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primers vary in height from part no. to part no. The shortest primers that I have are CCI 200's and the tallest are Fed 215's.

Primer pockets vary in depth also and making them uniform was mentioned above. I do it to all new cases right off now. I have a tool sold by Sinclair. I just opened their catalog here and it costs 19.50 and their shipping is at least $6.50. You will need a drill with a 1/2" chuck to power it. Don't get a handle for one unless you shop say RCBS and get one for a lot less as cutting a pocket deeper by your fingers or with a handle gets old fast.

Look in RCBS's catalog. I don't have it right here.

Then I use the same tool later in my fingers to clean all pockets. It's the way to go.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Well, yes, there sometimes are some VERY TINY differences in primer diameters. But, if you buy a box of Large Rifle primers, they should go into large rifle cartridge primer pockets. Some may require a little more pressure on the primer tool seater handle, but they should go in!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not as general as "they should go in". Just the shape of the inside radius in the pocket can matter.

I have "got them in there" in the past. I try to fit them in now.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Here's a tip about seating primers in nickel plaited brass.

I was having problems getting all my primers seated all the way in nickel plated cases. Some times no matter how much elbow grease I put into it, some wouldnt seet all the way in. That's when I figured that the pocket being clean was not enough. When I cleaned to the point that the nickel coating was all out of the pocket and it was brass coloured again then the problem went away. Just a slight change in dimensions I guess. [Wink]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Anders, the advice by Savage 99 is spot on. I use the sinclair tool he described and all my primer seating issues went magically away. Best investment on the loading bench for a long time. You will not regret the expenditure. Have fun.

<BEJ>
posted
I have the same problem with CCI-200. I bought some and noticed a distinct difference in the amount of pressure required to fully seat the primer (vs. WLR). Most of the CCI primers are visibly "crushed" (slightly) when fully seated, however, the primers have performed their function well. BTW, ALL my primer pockets, in each caliber I shoot, have been "uniformed" with a SINCLAIR tool.

<rg1>
posted
Here's an interesting article giving primer dimensions and pressure considerations. Article is from 1995 so some changes could have been made to some manufacturers primers since then.
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.html

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Hi! And thanks everybody.. Sorry but I`ve been away for a couple of days..

arkypete: I`m using the Rock-Chuckerpress on my RCBS kit. I have thought of a hand-held tool..
What do you all think of theese ones..?

I`ll try to get the Sinclair tool and get a drill adapter as well.. Thanks for the tip!
Today my hands are getting num after a couple of cartridges.. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I see that a lot of folks are fond of the Sinclair tool used with a hand drill. Does anyone use the RCBS Casemaster? My limited experience finds this tool easy and convenient. The bits are spinning and I just set the case(s) onto the primer pocker bit and move on to the next case. How does this compare to the use of the hand drill setup? Do you hold a case in one hand and the drill in the other and drive the bit into the pocket? I don't know for sure but it seems that the RCBS tool would be easier to use. Thoughts?

As for primer tools I use the RCBS hand primer. I can feel the progression of the primer as it moves into the pocket plus it has a nice safety barrier and flip tray so I never touch a primer.
I've been reluctant to add the priming setup to my Rockchucker as it seems like the overkill leverage would cause a significant loss of feel.

Good Luck,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too use the RCBS hand priming tool and can actually 'feel' having to use more or less pressure to seat different makes of primers. I guess it's all in the manufacturing tolerances. But they all end up below flush with the case head.

So far Sinclair primer pocket uniformer seems the most popular. I have used for many years a K & M Services tool in both large and small sizes. They are both non-adjustable, so you can't go too deep. They have a hex shank that fits in my Snap-on battery-powered screwdriver. I think it's about 150 RPM's. I never, let me say this again, NEVER use these tools to clean out the residue from a fired case. K & M says it will sharply reduce the service life of the tool's cutting edges. I believe them. So I've always used my Forster case trimmer for that process. K & M also makes a neat chamfering tool that cuts a 60 degree angle on the case mouth that helps with seating flatbase bullets. The more gentle angle also helps to not scrape moly off of all bullets. FWIW

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
never had any problems seating any of the primers however have noticed that both cci and federal primers are larger in diam than winchester primers......in fact when winchester primers are loose in the primer pocket the cci and federal primers are still tight ...
Daniel

Posts: 1487 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
XWind!
I checked out rcbs` site but couldn`t find the rcbs "casemaster".. Is it the same as the "prep center", where you can do several operations like chamfering, deburring, primer pocket cleaning, military crimp removal and flash hole deburring..? Is it a difference in primer pocket cleaning and primer pocket uniforming..? The cleaner might just remove some dirt, while the uniformer actually remove goods..
Do you know..?
Thanks